• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EV high idle

sikkst9

Hey Y'all,
I've got a '86 1028 that my fire co. is running as a brush truck. We've recently upgraded the emergency lighting and siren systems. Also we've eliminated some of the gen1/gen2 problems with help from here, so thank you all for that.
Now we're finding out that on scenes with the emergency lights on and the truck at idle, we're slowly losing power.
I've looked over the truck and the wiring diagrams, and just need some sound advice. We'd like to install a high idle switch to power the high idle actuator next to the throttle cable. Is this a viable option? I've also considered a vernier throttle cable though i don't see any way to connect it.
high idle option.jpg
ignore the random white wires, they're no longer there. Again, Thanks for the help.

richingalveston

If you just want to use the high idle solenoid all you need to do is run an extra 12Volt wire to is on a switch. flip the switch and press the gas pedal and you should be at high idle.

I added one to my rig for rock crawling. when in double low on the t-case the high idle keeps it from lugging.

richingalveston

no, it only presses the throttle just a little.The ip timing is changed by the vacuum/throttle advance and I believe by the temp switch. the green wires are controlled by the temp switch. once warmed up, the green wire is dead. +12V when engine is cold.