• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ever seen a 6.2 balancer break?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1008 balancer wobbled a bit (looked partially delaminated), and I was having terrible belt tension issues. I was having to tighten belts weekly or every other week. I bought an (expensive) Fluidampr, and had a local mechanic install it and a couple NOS pulleys a few months ago. It feels a bit smoother when running, and I have yet to have to tighten the belts again. I have made a couple 4-8 hour drives since the installation, and now feel 100% comfortable with the truck's reliability.
3 questions...how fast were you going for 4 8 hours in a 1008? Which and where'd you get nos pulleys?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

1x1_Speed_Craig

3 questions...how fast were you going for 4 8 hours in a 1008? Which and where'd you get nos pulleys?
You missed the hyphen...it was 4-8 (four to eight) hours, not 48 hours. :LOL: I kept it to a max of 50-ish mph, as I always do.

I got the NOS crank pulley from eBay seller saturnsurplus, and the others from Red River Parts. I still have the two NOS alternator pulleys and the NOS power steering pulley that I didn't use, as my truck had been modified by a previous owner (a city in Kentucky), and had aftermarket alternators and a PS pump with a different-sized shaft. I just haven't gotten around to reselling the pulleys I didn't use, and I can't list them here because I don't have the permissions to post in the For Sale section.

Craig

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my career as a professional mechanic and shop owner I have seen plenty of harmonic balancer failures - more than I have fingers and toes to keep track. GM included. The rubber fails and as others have pointed out the rubber ages and it's harmonic properties change - just like the ATI performance balancers that the "elastomers" (o-rings) can be changed out for different durometers for different engine RPM ranges and that are recommended to be rebuilt every few years - the factory rubber ceases to actually do the job it was designed to do and like all things rubber on cars and trucks (military or otherwise) is living on borrowed time after 10-15 years (less for tires).

The big expensive engines like the C7 CAT in my LMTV have fluid dampers from the factory. And if you never want to think about it again I can highly recommend the Fluidampr products. Have used them with great success on plenty of performance applications. The (USA) quality remains long after the price is forgotten. Unlike the ATI "elastomeric" dampers that have to be rebuilt they require no thoughts or maintenance and can't come apart.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You missed the hyphen...it was 4-8 (four to eight) hours, not 48 hours. I kept it to a max of 50-ish mph, as I always do.

I got the NOS crank pulley from eBay seller saturnsurplus, and the others from Red River Parts. I still have the two NOS alternator pulleys and the NOS power steering pulley that I didn't use, as my truck had been modified by a previous owner (a city in Kentucky), and had aftermarket alternators and a PS pump with a different-sized shaft. I just haven't gotten around to reselling the pulleys I didn't use, and I can't list them here because I don't have the permissions to post in the For Sale section.

Craig
Ok still pretty far!! That's neat you got the crank pulley from them...my son bought everything they had cucv wise a few months ago. I got those pulleys coming out my nose!!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

87cr250r

I did drive my M1008 20 hours in one shot. I kept it as close to 65 mph as I could. Stopped for fuel and to load a dirt bike.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks