• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust Paint

JDToumanian

Hi Group,
I think I read in an old PS Magazine that the vertical exhaust on an M35 should be painted "high-temp olive drab", and a stock number was given for this. Has anyone found a civilian equivalent or a source for original surplus paint? What are you guys using? What about just shooting it with Gillespie when I paint the rest of the truck? I imagine there would be a lot of burn-off and it would look bad.

I have also seen a lot of trucks with flat black exhaust, but if OD is original or "correct" then that is what I want to use.

Regards,
Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did mine earth brown, from Aerove. No peeling or burning yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would paint it with rustoleum High Heat black, then cover it with whatever your painting the truck with. That should work well.

JDToumanian

Still dwelling on this subject, I did some research on heat resistant paints. I found the manufacturer of the mil exhaust paint. It's lusterless 383 green colored... might not look too great with my 24087 semi-gloss. I doubt they would have been interested in selling me a pint...Besides, other than black bbq paint, these pigmented heat resistant coatings are a pretty recent development... 1980s.

So how were the trucks delivered when new in the 1960s? Green exhaust and let it burn off to rust or did they have black bbq type paint on the exhaust?

Regards,
Jon

JDToumanian

Thanks for the pic... Yes, I agree it does indeed look nice! I'm tempted to follow your lead, but that's my dilemma... originality (rust?) or what looks good...

Regards,
Jon

Armada

JD, I painted my stack 24087. I've had no problems after a year. Doesn't get hot enough to burn it off, unlike a header manifold.
Hmmm... I've got a thermocouple for my meter, now I'm curious what the temps get up to.

Attachments

eddiec

all the new clean air exhaust systems i have seen for sale are all black. when i did mine, i just used bbq grill paint, 1300 or 1500 degree paint, black. then did the brackets abd gaurd od, looks pretty good.just my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks