• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exhaust routing.

69DeuceJuice

Hey everyone I have a non-turbo 1969 m35a2 with the multi fuel engine and it has a big muffler under the passenger floorboard and a big piece of flex pipe running to the stack. Is this stock? I would like to run a straight pipe but I can’t find any kits or pics of how the exhaust is routed in a non turbo setup all I can find are turbo deuces. Thanks!!

fleetmech

All non turbo trucks came with mufflers, so there wont be any specific routing or kits that run it straight, at least that I am aware of.

if you want it straightpiped, you'll have to cobble together whatever you can make fit. Whatever you do, i recommend you leave a pretty deep bend under the stack to prevent rain from getting into the engine.

I also recommend you yank the pipe off before the muffler and run it once or twice just to make sure its got the sound you want...

Darylfraser

Yep, stock. My ‘71 is an NA as a well. It’s loud enough with the muffler which is more like a spark arrestor. Plenty noisy at the A pillar. Not a great picture as it is of my tire but you can see the routing. The system is completely different from the turbos. The head pipe, j pipe, flex joint, clamps, gaskets, mounting hardware and of course, the muffler are all different. My system is all NOS, replaced the whole system last year. Parts were surprisingly cheap and available.F42CE7F9-9E40-4CCE-84F4-D76752CAB1F8.jpeg

69DeuceJuice

All non turbo trucks came with mufflers, so there wont be any specific routing or kits that run it straight, at least that I am aware of.

if you want it straightpiped, you'll have to cobble together whatever you can make fit. Whatever you do, i recommend you leave a pretty deep bend under the stack to prevent rain from getting into the engine.

I also recommend you yank the pipe off before the muffler and run it once or twice just to make sure its got the sound you want...
How do I detach the inlet to the muffler is it welding or clamped onto the muffler? And also could I use a turbo exhaust down tube to have the correct bends?

Darylfraser

How do I detach the inlet to the muffler is it welding or clamped onto the muffler? And also could I use a turbo exhaust down tube to have the correct bends?
The head pipe or down tube is connected to the muffler with a band clamp. The muffler outlet connects to the flex joint with a band clamp as well and that in turn connects to the j pipe. I am sure there is a way to use your existing head pipe to connect to some sort of custom exhaust. The turbo exhaust is completely different. I assure you that the muffler reduces the noise somewhat, it is still quite loud. You may want to run it as is for awhile and see how it sounds before modding it. While we do not have the turbo whistle, we produce plenty of noise and smoke. I drive mine with earbuds while listening to “Fortunate Son” on repeat😁

ToddJK

That's still 3" pipe, correct? Some exhaust shops might carry the parts you need and bend a new pipe to fit, given you're willing to pay the costs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks