• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Expandable Van

conny

Hello,
How bad does the expandable van body leak while driving in the rain or parked? What area leaks the most? Can it all be prevented?

Thank you.

Guyfang

Staff member
Perhaps you should tell us what type of expando van you have. There are expando vans going back to the early 60, that I have known and worked on.

Expando vans have seals around the side doors. If they are not good, water will leak in. Also, the Air con door and side vent doors have seals. You need to look at the roof. Often due to camouflaging the things, the roof got damaged. Holes mean water coming in.

The most likely place is the air con door and the roof. Everything can be fixed, if you can find the leak. Now there is a problem. Finding it sometimes takes longer then fixing it.

TJ4man

Hello,
How bad does the expandable van body leak while driving in the rain or parked? What area leaks the most? Can it all be prevented?

Thank you.
I have noticed a little wall sponginess just on the driver's side outer wall while renovating the back. In taking off the inner wall skin, I started doing some investigation, and it looks like the outer wall seal (appearing original) needs some attention.

I agree with Guyfang's assessment and recommendations. Water is always tough to deal with as it sneaks in and leaves a mess as it sits in finished spaces. My biggest culprit seems to be that outer wall seal, but still digging. Other than that, so far so good, and not bad for a truck that's been weathering for 34 years, all thing considered.

Miki's tent idea seems solid in any case!

Guyfang

Staff member
The only time I had to deal with this problem, in a bigger way, I went to my wife's cousin, and borrowed an electric air dryer. We pulled some inner skin, and sat the thing inside, closed the doors and let it rock N' roll. The amount of water extracted just blew me away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks