• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra 75 gallon Fuel tank in bed

WCJIV

I have a 75 gallon fuel tank out of a 5 ton that I would like to put in the bed of my Deuce and put a fitting on the drain plug to set up a gravity feed system with a shut off valve of some sort. It needs to be elevated on some type of stringer to give enough clearance. I also will need some sort of strap to hold it in place. Has anyone done somethng similar that they would be willing to share install info on.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walter, I would think that getting a pair of the "L" shaped arms that usually holds the tanks on the truck would work good bolted to either the front or the floor of the bed. If clearance becomes and issue, you could use the in tank pump or one of the less expensive stand alone 28V fuel pumps to move the fuel to the main tank. By using the pump, you could refill while moving down the road. There is also another port in the deuce tank to draw from and could be used to fill the tank. Lots of options here. I have the l shaped arms for the deuce but they would be a little short. Just thinking out loud.

Desert Rat

I'll be doing something similar with my four door (see avatar) pick-up. I have a 12 volt pump and will refill as I'm driving. Plus I'm modifying the genset to also draw from the same tanks so when we're parked we have power, heat and A/C as the environment demands.

WCJIV

Kenny, I think I will get some 2 inch stock and bend it in the shape of a U and weld it on both ends raising the tank about 4 inches with enough clearance to acces the drain plug for gravity feed. I could then bolt it to the bottom of the bed throught the new U bands. This way it would be free standing when I pull it off and put it on the ground or in my trailer. I want low tech as I have enough high tech things to maintain. I own two fill rite pumps already. I intend to use it more as a fuel transfer tank for my generator. I doubt I will drive any long distance where I need that much fuel. If I do I can upgrade it. Can I use the existing in tank pump? Thanks

legality...

have you checked what the state says is okay for volume?Up here tanks over a certain size need to be double walled,and no tapping into the factory tanks is allowed...you have to run a separate fuel line and pump.
sounds silly,but this all started for us about 10 years ago when a tour bus rear ended a pickup carrying a large slip tank in the bed...the tank broke loose and flew through the front glass of the bus...the resulting fire killed about 20 people.
Make sure that tank won't go anywhere in an impact.Keep in mind your altering the factory fuel system to a degree...Hopefully your insurance company is happy with it.Just remember that if something bad enough happens and someone can point fingers at you,your pretty much screwed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The in tank pump flows quite a bit of fuel. Not like a fillrite but still pretty quick. That sounds good as a transfer tank.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The in-tank fuel pump will pump about 5 gallons/minute open-ended.
Tested it during the operation shown below.
If I wanted to add extra fuel tank capacity, I'd go the route Desert Rat took, put it in the place of the spare tire.
With dual tires in the rear I wouldn't even worry about carry a spare. This would give me the full bed capacity for regular cargo and nobody could question the legality of it.

Attachments

NEIOWA

Milspec Parker Aviation Electric Fuel Pump

If anyone is interested, my Fire Dept has some Milspec Parker Aviation Electric Fuel Pump. These came with some surplus Army equipment we received from DOD for our fire dept. We have no need so selling to someone that can use them. VERY nice Milspec piece of equipment. We removed these from a fuel control/pumping module. Fuel control module with 4 of these pumps were part of a temporary internally installed helicopter ferry fuel system. As such have likely had minimal (or no) use. Pump data plate indicates manufactured by Parker - Airborne Division Elyria, OH 44036 "Pump Fuel Booster" Model 3B7-6, 1300pph (pounds per hour I assume) 28V DC Max PSI 30 Amps 5.6. "Do not run dry". Application of this pump was for continuous use transfering av fuel from auxillary internal fuel tanks into the aircraft main tanks.<p>Pump has 2 conductor electric lead with a twist locking milspec 2 contact male plug. We will include a mating female socket with wire lead. Also included are two SS mounting straps.<p>Pumps are self priming. Fittings are 1 1/4". Sold 4 of these on ebay for $50ea. but if you're interested let me know. http://www.americansatco.com/merchant/FuelPump3.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks