• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

extra mep 003a engines, what should I do with them?

maddog

I have 2 new engines and one good running used engine.
I thought about building a tractor around one of them.
Maybe in a little hot rod, or a motorcycle.
Maybe a 2 engined thing.

I really like them being so compact and bullet proof.

I also thought of parting them out........ no, cant do that.

Any ideas what I should do with them?

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Code:
What do you think they are worth?

I dont suppose I need 3 spares for my genset.
I do like the idea of a tractor though...
I bought a civy version of the MEP003. Which is the Onan 12.5Kw generator. (Mechanically the same as the MEP003, just lacking all the electronic controls) I paid $600 for mine, it didn't run at the time though. But only needed the IP cleaned and new nozzles on the injectors. I've got all of $800 total in mine, with spare parts. (Controller board, filters, mech fuel pump.)

Not sure if that helps.

3dAngus

Probably $500 or so. The electrical side of the MEP003 is worth more (to me), but the diesel engine is more work for maintenance, so selling it or parts should be easy.

Isaac-1

The civilian DJB and DJC engines were apparently widely used railroad support maintenance cars, now that I have given you that idea, all you need is some surplus rail.....

On a serious note, how about powering an irrigation pump

michigandon

The civilian DJB and DJC engines were apparently widely used railroad support maintenance cars, now that I have given you that idea, all you need is some surplus rail.....
Hmm, never seen a motorcar with one of these engines myself, but I'm not saying that no such thing was ever manufactured either. Maybe Ferro, EMD, or Motorcar can chime in on this one.

There were plenty of Fairmont MT-series cars powered with gasoline CCKB and B48G engines (I used to own an MT14 with a CCKB).

I have seen some of the bigger "A" series cars that were powered by Lister-Petter diesels. I think that was a B&O "field modification" though.

Oh yeah, ya don't need to buy any surplus rail either. ;-)

NARCOA - North American Railcar Operators Association

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We (Gimp and I) have some of them. Thinking of repowering the boom lift, it currently has a propane wisconsin V-4 in it, that uses oil and propane quite well.

maddog

All good ideas, I love it.
Take the Shriner car, its a firetruck with the top of the engine making the top of the big box behind the driver. The engine is the frame, hang the rear wheels and attach the front end to it.

Pump motor, portable saw mill. Good ideas, worth keeping one for some purpose like that.

If I sold one, it would be the new one (green). Its never been fired, tags still on it with all the openings plugged but a complete bolt in, less air cleaner and fuel filters.

If I was patient, what do you think I could get for that one?
That could fund the project (shriner firetruck) with the other one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks