• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F-head Carter YF/YS carb gasket part #?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I have finished rebuilding the carb on our '55 M38A1. The Jeep is mostly original, but of course, it's missing it's original Carter YS-950 carb, replaced with the ubiquitous Carter YF.

I wanted to get the Jeep running quickly and I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to obtain and rebuild the correct carb (YS's go for stupid money) so I decided to rebuild the YF that's already on it.

This kids, is where the problems began. I should know better than to try and save money by cutting corners.

So I finish rebuilding it and I go to install it and I find 3 gaskets on the head. Now, in my long experience with old stuff, I have found that most people's idea of a fix for a warped mounting flange is multiple gaskets and some gasket sealer. So I put a machinist's straightedge on the flange and it's straight. Check the carb and it's straight. So I go ahead and install the carb with the (single) new gasket and I realize why the former "technician" used multiple gaskets.

Apparently, the YF is shaped slightly differently than the YS. And when you put the YF on the engine, the mounting stud hits the bottom of the bowl before the carb bottoms out (see pictures).

I checked to see if the stud was completely bottomed out in it's hole, hoping it had a couple more turns. No suck luck. I considered shortening it or trying to find a shorter stud, but it would be such an oddball length that I knew that would never happen.

So I decided to copy the multiple gasket trick.

Until I found out no parts house on Earth has the gaskets and they can't even find a part #.

Have any of you Jeep guys, in your vast libraries of knowledge, have the carb-to-flange gasket part # so I can order a few? I know all the Jeep parts suppliers have them, but I am loathe to pay $10 shipping and wait a week for a $1.50 item.

Thanks

C

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the previous owner had problems with carb heating. Adding those extra gaskets isolates the carb from the manifold. Think I'd consider one of the Bakelite spacers to space it, but I have no idea if that was standard on an M38A1. My old ex M-38 has an F-head in it and uses a spacer.

Bob

Boatcarpenter

Clinto, If that Jeep were hanging out in my backyard with that situation this is probably what I would try. Get a piece of fairly thin flat stock, drill it for the studs and slip it over to keep crap from falling into the manifold. Spin a proper die on one stud upside down, saw the stud off, do a little filing with a triangular file as needed just to get the little thin burr off that you always end up with when you cut off a bolt, and then spin the die back up and off and you should be good to go. You can also put a nut on instead of the die, but the die will clean up any stray dings in the threads that you might make.
BC

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what I think I would do also.:roll:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Wes, it appears you are right.

I did end up ordering the gaskets from a Jeep parts supplier. I have it on now and it's running. It's really rich but all I really needed was it to run good enough to get in and out of the garage under it's own power.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks