• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Faint clicking ticking sound when stopping

Thumper580

whether it's a clicking or ticking sound... Either way when coming to a stop I can hear a faint clicking/ticking sound that slows down as the vehicle slows down....
I know that CV joints and U joints can make this sound when getting old.
The M998 has all new half shafts, so I doubt that's it. I guess that leaves U joints... Does this make the most sense?
Is there a good way to determine if they are worn out?
Thanks.....

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can check your joints with medium prybar just give a little pry and look for play. A really bad joint can be felt by hand while turning. I wouldn't rule out brake pad rub though. Start at the front, put your parking brake on, put it all in neutral, raise the front and rotate the drivetrain by hand and narrow it down. Can do the same with rear, but no parking brake, but chock the front. Maybe have a friend rotate the wheels while your under there.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might this be the PCB? Some tick for a while after starting IIRC

papakb

U-joints will definitely make a clicking sound that changes with speed. You won't hear it accelerating or while running but when the load comed off the U-jont that's when you'll hear it. Creep around under the truck and shake all the driveshafts. If there's any motion at all that's your problem.

Attachments