• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan Clutch

Jobuchhy

Has anyone had to remove the radiator fan with the hydraulic clutch? Does the clutch simply pull off the end of shaft once bolt I’d removed?
does not appear to be any way of removing fan without first removing this clutch.

Attachments

springer1981

You have to disengage the clutch and then line up the bolt holes with the bolts. Then you can remove the clutch as an assembly. The nut at the end only takes apart the piston/cylinder assembly that engages and disengages. You should really read the TSM for it. The nuts you have removed allow you to remove the fan.

You can see some pictures of it here https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2350314 when I did mine however mine was frozen and could not be turned to line up the bolt holes.

A better picture of it here after I rebuilt it, you can see the bolts lined up in this picture. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2358901

Last edited:

rcamacho

TM covers this well if read carefully. You may need to apply hydraulic or pneumatic pressure to the clutch fitting to allow movement for bolt to hole alignment.

I had to apply approximately 100psi to release it to align.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can remove the fan blade with the clutch on the water pump, put a LITTLE bit of penetrating oil on it and work the blade back and forth, you will have to put about 90PSI on the clutch hose to align the clutch bolts if you want to remove the clutch itself.

Jobuchhy

You have to disengage the clutch and then line up the bolt holes with the bolts. Then you can remove the clutch as an assembly. The nut at the end only takes apart the piston/cylinder assembly that engages and disengages. You should really read the TSM for it. The nuts you have removed allow you to remove the fan.

You can see some pictures of it here https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2350314 when I did mine however mine was frozen and could not be turned to line up the bolt holes.

A better picture of it here after I rebuilt it, you can see the bolts lined up in this picture. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/my-new-1992-m998-avenger.184818/post-2358901
I have looked through the TM’s and haven’t seen one for the 1123. Can you send me a link?

Jobuchhy

TM covers this well if read carefully. You may need to apply hydraulic or pneumatic pressure to the clutch fitting to allow movement for bolt to hole alignment.

I had to apply approximately 100psi to release it to align.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you send me a link to the TM?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked through the TM’s and haven’t seen one for the 1123. Can you send me a link?
ALL HMMWV clutches are the same, only the fan and water pump are different depending if you have V belts or serpentine. (they turn the opposite direction)
This of course excludes the REV.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are only 2 series of manuals for the HMMWV. The first set covers all trucks from the first ones to the A2 series, which includes the M1123. The second set of manuals covers the ECV/REV trucks.

The M1123 is the same an an M1097A2 truck, with the main exceptions being it doesn't have the rear airlift bumper that the rest of the A2 series has, and that the deep water fording kit is already installed except for the snorkel and exhaust.
And if you aren't familiar with what the M1097A2 is, it's just the "heavy" variant of the M998A2.
In other words, the M1123 is just a heavy M998A2, and using the standard manuals found on here, use instructions for A2 series trucks and you'll be fine.

The manuals are in the TM section

Jobuchhy

There are only 2 series of manuals for the HMMWV. The first set covers all trucks from the first ones to the A2 series, which includes the M1123. The second set of manuals covers the ECV/REV trucks.

The M1123 is the same an an M1097A2 truck, with the main exceptions being it doesn't have the rear airlift bumper that the rest of the A2 series has, and that the deep water fording kit is already installed except for the snorkel and exhaust.
And if you aren't familiar with what the M1097A2 is, it's just the "heavy" variant of the M998A2.
In other words, the M1123 is just a heavy M998A2, and using the standard manuals found on here, use instructions for A2 series trucks and you'll be fine.

The manuals are in the TM section
Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks