• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan switch 1986 CUCV

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
My fan motor switch has stopped working. It started out slowly not working and if I'd move it up and down it would start working. Now it has completely stopped. I have the dash pulled apart and cleaned all the connections but that didn't help. Then I thought duh maybe the fuse is blown. I'm not sure where to find which fuse to check. Then if the fuse is OK how do I disconnect the switch and where would I buy one. It looks like there is a white plastic component that I'd somehow to unscrew?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a new piece of information. The fuse wherever it is is fine. If I move the back side of the switch the fan motor runs. So I'm assuming I need a new switch?
Would someplace like NAPA carry it?
Any idea on the original P/N?
Last how do you get the back part of the switch off?

Barrman

Any auto parts store will sell you a 1985 k5 blazer fan switch.

You need to pull the gauge bezel off to replace it. I would highly suggest you undo all of the battery terminals before starting this job. The lugs on the back of the volt meter are hot and will probably touch the metal surrounding them if you don’t. That causes the 20 amp fuse at the bottom of the panel to blow.

I would also suggest you use a 15 mm socket to loosen the steering column support nuts. This allows the column to drop down enough that you won’t break the new fan switch arm off while stuffing the gauge bezel back on.

Just, pull the bezel and then the temperature panel. The switch is bolted to the back and easy to swap out.

MarcusOReallyus

It's not a 1986. It's not a 1985.

It's a 1984. It does not matter what year it was made. It's a 1984. The Army did not want the logistics nightmare of keeping up with all the changees that auto manufacturers make from year to year, so the contract specified that all vehicles would be made the same - no model year changes were permitted.

So, if you need parts, ask for 1984 parts.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks part is ordered and will be here tomorrow. I have the bezel pulled and the whole fan switch is kinda out. Maybe after I get the part I'll get a better idea how to replace it.

cucvrus

Also note the wiring pigtail that runs to the fan switch and resistor under the hood on the heater box has a tendency to have a bad connection and gets hot and melts the switch. It is loose and makes resistance and heat. Make sure the connection is tight and apply some dielectric grease on that switch before you install it. The switch is about as poorly made as you can get. But I retract that statement. They lasted 35+ years and are still going strong. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Barrman

Sorry I messed up the year thing. I have used 1984 K5 for truck stuff and 1985 K30 for engine, transmission and transfer case when looking for civilian parts. I inverted them by accident.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well replaced with a new switch. It was working a little better but still intermittently stopped. I can see a little of the top pin on the wire harness tarnished . I've cleaned it best I could then used a wire tie to another part of the harness ad looks to be working every time now. We'll how long that works, Thanks all

cucvrus

I didn't read it in a TM. I seen it several times in real time. I grab every switch pigtail I come across. I had it on many snow plow trucks also that are not CUCV but have the same switch. All GM vehicles during that era had the same pigtail and switch some were just reverse set up. You are going to have to trust me on this. I don't read TM's. I just get it done.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I didn't read it in a TM. I seen it several times in real time. I grab every switch pigtail I come across. I had it on many snow plow trucks also that are not CUCV but have the same switch. All GM vehicles during that era had the same pigtail and switch some were just reverse set up. You are going to have to trust me on this. I don't read TM's. I just get it done.
cool beans

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks