• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feedback Re: M35A2 W 5 ton Multi-fuel installed

stumps

Stumps, take a few minutes and download all the TMs listed for the Deuce. A few times through the -20P, will familiarize you with all the components,that makes a deuce!
Imagine that I have all of those manuals and more... and have read them too!

And yet, I still haven't found the oil cooler on the deuce. I'll keep looking....

Ok, I've found it! I went to the source (my truck), and it is just where gimpyrob said it was , but I still don't see it the parts manual. They show the casting for the oil filters, and you can see where the oil heat exchanger attaches, but it leaves off oil heat exchanger.

Perhaps, doghead, after you stop laughing at me, you could tell me where it is in the -20P?

-Chuck

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-2320-361-24P

Oil cooler

Attachments

Last edited:

oilcan

:-D This thread got pretty funny for a minuite!

And I think the general consensus is that a 5 ton motor in a 2 1/2 ton truck is a good thing.

Thanks... yeah, I'm a total new-guy.:roll:
Ah, don't worry about a goof like that. Besides, it flew over ole' gimp's head even when he was asked the question directly. What a goober! :razz:
Anyway, there are gobs of model numbers that we all try to memorize with varying degrees of success. Just wait 'till you start seeing the dang things on your alarm clock! (And everywhere else, for that matter) 725, 817, 1008, etc...

stumps

I have always thought an LDS-465 engine in a deuce would be a sort of holy grail. It is interesting though, that in the much discussed letter that detailed the MF engine reliability problems in VN during the '60s they included the 5T trucks as being part of the problem.

So maybe the LDS-465 is also a rod thrower?

Also, I was just scanning through some of the manuals, and in one where they describe the difference between the LDS-465 and the LDT-465, they specifically mention the LDS-465 has a higher capacity oil cooler than the LDT-465.

-Chuck

Yohan

I have always thought an LDS-465 engine in a deuce would be a sort of holy grail. It is interesting though, that in the much discussed letter that detailed the MF engine reliability problems in VN during the '60s they included the 5T trucks as being part of the problem.

So maybe the LDS-465 is also a rod thrower?

Also, I was just scanning through some of the manuals, and in one where they describe the difference between the LDS-465 and the LDT-465, they specifically mention the LDS-465 has a higher capacity oil cooler than the LDT-465.

-Chuck
I thought the 465 was the 2.5 ton engine. Do you mean the 465 is the 5 ton engine? LDS = Superchaged, LDT = Turbocharged, correct? So what would the 5 ton engine designation be?

stumps

I thought the 465 was the 2.5 ton engine. Do you mean the 465 is the 5 ton engine? LDS = Superchaged, LDT = Turbocharged, correct? So what would the 5 ton engine designation be?
The same basic engine was used in both applications.

The LD-465, LDT-465-1C, and LDT-465-1D, were the engines commonly used in the M35A2 deuce.

The LDS-465-<something> was an improved version of the LD/T engines, that was juiced up for some of the 5T trucks. It puts out another 40HP over the LD/T engines, and spins a little faster too.

-Chuck

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDT-465 replacement ?

You seem to be knowledgable about these M35 engines and I was
wondering if you know of a non LD type that could be easily used
to replace it.

I have the famous loose rod banging in my LDT-465 and rather
than fixing it I would like to upgrade it.

Thanks for your help.

Orren Winjum

The same basic engine was used in both applications.

The LD-465, LDT-465-1C, and LDT-465-1D, were the engines commonly used in the M35A2 deuce.

The LDS-465-<something> was an improved version of the LD/T engines, that was juiced up for some of the 5T trucks. It puts out another 40HP over the LD/T engines, and spins a little faster too.

-Chuck