• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Filtering with diaphragm

s1036s

Does anybody filter with a diaphragm pump? Specifically the sandpiper...
Sandpiper Air-Operated Double Diaphragm Pump — 1in. Inlet, 45 GPM, Aluminum/Buna, Model# S1FB1ABWAN5000 | Air Operated Oil Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment Transfer + Lubrication>Air Operated Oil Pumps-_-109715

I think this is the one I have, but any reason not to put some filters before or after the pump? I dont know about using the bag filters, it may make a mess. I can run the pump at a lower psi to pump less gpm.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do use a diaphragm pump to filter, but not that one. I use one like that to transfer from their tanks to my collection tanks. After that I've been using a single diaphragm pump to push, NOT suck, through filters (3). I do this only because it's 24v and I can do it when we are in travel mode w/ no air power. I tend to top off the tanks at the end of the day, and when ever we get near half-tank (less stress on the pump to only have to pump 20 gals at a time)
You will need to be careful w/ the filter bases, most will have a by-pass press of 15psi (or so). You will need to keep your press below that, or block the by-pass. I would also recommend putting a press gauge before, after, and between each filter so that you can see which one is clogging up.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, they rip out after that :wink:
NO I'm using spin-ons and the bases have a by-pass that opens at 15psi

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have contacted a few manufacturers of spin-ons that I use. Many are rated to 100psi. I often run pressures up to 60psi while filtering. 15psi seems like it would take forever.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the bases? I'm guessing that you found, or made, some bases that don't have a by-pass?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Correct. I got 200 detroit diesel filters in one GL lot. I went to a scrap yard and grabbed some filter bases for them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks