• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally got the approval to purchase my deuce!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after a long year of upgrading our house, including new windows all the way around (I installed all 11 of them) and finishing our ongoing kitchen remodel, including a new countertop (installed professionally) and a new tile backsplash (wife designed it and we installed it together), my wife said we had saved enough money that I could get my deuce.

I have been looking for quite some time, waiting for just this moment.

My basic requirements are as follows:

Turbo multifuel engine - LDT 465 C or D
Air shift front axle
Winch
Hardtop
Cab heater

Probably not listing everything.

Probably in that order. I know that I can bid on some via ebay or over on GL. Here's a couple that I might bid on at ebay. The first one is SoCal and the other one is in Maryland.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4601061862&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4601349932&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

There is a company down in Lamar, Colorado that MIGHT have one that recently came out of rebuild and I think we will go look at it this weekend, but we will see.

I would like to find one that HAS been through the rebuild process if at all possible without going to Clark Trucks (mega $$ that I don't have).

I live in Denver and if ANYONE knows of a nice deuce that fits my requirements, SING OUT. I'm willing to go to almost any length to get the 'right' truck.

The lower the price for a nice truck, the further I'm willing to go to get it and drive it home.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
No I had not checked the classifieds here before posting. DOOH!

I have sent the seller an email asking for more info and if it's still for sale. Looks close to what I'm looking for. I can always add the missing winch and cab heater (if it doesn't have one).

THX. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

da_sgt

Not a problem :) It's just like anything else, when you want it sooooo bad ya kinda get blinded till a day or two after you get her home things just start to pop out at you :cry: (The girls all get prettier at closing time) It's always best to have a buddy or even the wife to go with you, they see things without their blinders on :shock:

ktm380

Wallew,
What did the guy in La Jaunta have to say? Before I got mine I called the people in Lamar, I just did not have a good feeling about them plus their prices were high.
I also missed that classified!!!

Dieselsmoke

If you deal with Ranchers Supply, always ask to speak with John the owner. He's a MV nut and is the only person to talk to there IMO.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ktm380,
I talked to the guy in LaJunta and he said he was out and did not expect to have any for at least three months.

Yeah, the guy at Ranchers Supply down in Lamar prices are a little higher, but he has the truck I'm looking for. It has the turbo multifuel, air shift front, winch, hard top and cab heater. It came from Kansas. It appears from the two pictures he sent me that it has been through refurb before he got it.

The paint is clean with no rust. The front axle looks like it's be repainted.

And yes, my wife ALWAYS goes with me when we look at vehicles. Two sets of eyes are better than one. Plus she plays 'bad cop' to my 'good cop'. Telling me we need to leave just about the time the 'salesman' is trying to close the deal. Even if the salesman is the private owner. I NEVER do an impulse buy. I used to go 'car shopping' just to frustrate car salemen. It's even MORE fun with my wife along. She literally drags me from a showroom. As we are driving off, we are both laughing so hard sometimes I almost cry. If they only knew...

I've added the two Ranchers Supply from Lamar pix. If you folks see anything, SPEAK UP. He's asking $6250...

I'll probably offer him $5500 WITH an M105 trailer thrown in. If he doesn't like that deal, then I will just keep lookin...

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dieselsmoke,
I've been talking to Alvin Jones. BUT, when I go down there, I'll ask to speak to John to make the offer to. It helps to speak to 'da man' when it comes to making a deal.

Also, I always write my offer amount on the back of my business card. I give it to them and tell them that offer is good for 24 hours. And I've NEVER accepted an offer, even a LOWER offer, after that time period. I just keep looking. There are plenty of fish in sea. I've just got to find the right one.

Plus I figure that most of these trucks are selling from GL for around $3 - 4k so if I make a fair offer of $5500 to include a trailer, I'm not screwing them and they aren't screwing me. A guys got to make a living. He just doesn't have to make it all in one sale to me.

RANDYLBARNES

I went to Lamar and saw John a few months ago. He is a nice enough guy but I also thought that his prices were high for the quality of trucks that he had to offer. Here a while back there was a guy here in town that had a nice one for sale with winch, air shift axle, hard top and drop sides for $6900. I will see if I can find his name and number.

pistolnut

Check out militarytrucks.com. His website badly needs to be updated, but he has acres of trucks and will build one to your specifications.

Trango

Hey Wallew,

If you want me to come check out one of those trucks with you, let me know. I'm just up here in Boulder, and I always love looking at old iron.

Cheers
Bob

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff in Salida answered my emails and his truck is still for sale. Here is his response to my query.

"Jim, yes I still have it. It is a hard top, with the typical cave in on the top. It has the heater. Interior is typical, has desert sand overspray, here and there. This truck was in service in the 1990’s. I believe the Toelle depot rebuild was dated 1994. Multi fuel converted to straight diesel only. Turbo-charged, not the whistler. Year, 1963 made by Kaiser. Questions -- Jeff"

This truck appears to be in good shape. It DOES NOT have a winch. Plus, as you will notice, he said it was converted to 'straight diesel'. I know I've read a thread about this but can't come up with the correct way to search to make it come up. I think it's a simple matter, but just can't find it.

Trango,
Bob, I called and left him a voice mail asking him if he would be available this weekend to let me look at the truck. Given the wife will be glued in front of our Home Theater watching football, I WOULD LOVE some company. I'll buy lunch. Contact me via email @ whiterivr@msn.com and I'll send you my phone number. THX for the offer. This 'assumes' Jeff is available. jim

---

MIKE,
Here's THAT DEBUG error - I got it again -

---

Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : smtp.php

---
Yet it posted everything just fine - go figure. Probably ONE line in the code somewhere. As was said in the movie, "I, Robot" - ghosts in the machine...

DrFoster

wallew said:
Mike,
No I had not checked the classifieds here before posting. DOOH!

I have sent the seller an email asking for more info and if it's still for sale. Looks close to what I'm looking for. I can always add the missing winch and cab heater (if it doesn't have one).

THX. I'll let you guys know what I find out.
I emailed that guy a while back and I never got a reply. Sounds like we will be "expecting" at the same time... If my friend in Wyoming falls through bringing me his, then I am going with Clark... Less restoration I have to worry about, and more time to concentrate on my turbo kit I am researching.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DrFoster,
I have made an appointment to go look at Jeff's deuce for this Sunday. Trango has kindly offered to go with. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Clarks trucks are immaculate. You can't go wrong with one of his.

Dieselsmoke,
That 'fluid' all over the front tire is lube from a busted cover. He has the cover but hasn't replaced it yet. He says he also has a 5t wrecker (I THINK that's what he said). He's in the process of finishing his house, so he's letting one of his trucks go. My good fortune, I hope.

Jeff says the truck, when it was rebuilt was rebuilt with the fuel compensator set for 'diesel only'. WHAT is involved in putting this back to multifuel? ANYONE? I know I've read it before but can't seem to find the thread again. thx - jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks