• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Registered

APM215

Since I bought my M35 over a year ago I have had to jump threw hoops with the DOT. First was the problem with my sun cracked NDT tires, all ten were too old to pass a safety ( 7 new Michelins on MLVW rims fix that), then my parking lights don’t come on with my headlights (a diode jumper fixed that), then rust/ paint repairs, window defrosters, leaking wheel seal and a ton of other things. I finally repaired everything and the truck passed the safety. Then my insurance company would not cover the truck so the hunt began for one the would, after having my truck appraised finally found one that would do it. By the way the appraiser tells me he thinks my truck is worth $13,500. So I have my insurance and my safety in hand off to the license office for plates only to find out that "ALL" commercial trucks in Ontario need an emissions test. So I leave the office with my head down, call a truck shop that does the testing knowing it would not pass but that’s what they wanted and off I go. The truck shop tested my truck and just as I thought, it failed. Back to the MTO office I go to show them the fail and ask them how I was going to get a truck built in 1971 to pass an E-test? The lady at the desk who had already seen me twice today was very helpful and sent me up the road to a truck shop she knew of to ask them what I should do. So off I go to pay them a visit, tell them all about my adventures and he told me to bring my truck in and he would do another test on it and see if he could make it pass. With a fresh tank of new fuel, no air filter, the truck good and hot and some "other things" he was able to make it pass (just). Back down the road to the office I go for the third time that day. Long story short I finally have plates and I’m 100% legal for the road. Now I can legally drive my truck but I’m too tired to drive it. I need a nap.:doh:

zout

AMP - congradulations - I know CA is a a struggle for legalities and I am glad you made it with all your hair and nerves in tack. Take a long nap and go play with it as you have earned it up there. :driver:

bevanet

I hope you don't have to have emissions every year!

When I got my 5-ton registered in Arizona it took forever in the DMV. First they wanted $700 becaused of the weight. Finally they registered it as an historic vehicle and tweeked the weight fees down to about $150. I was good for a year, but the renewal came and they are back up to $650. I haven't mustered the energy to face them again. Thing is that I probably didn't put more than 20 miles on the truck all year. Pretty expensive road fees!

GoinNutts

AMP - congradulations - I know CA is a a struggle for legalities and I am glad you made it with all your hair and nerves in tack. Take a long nap and go play with it as you have earned it up there. :driver:
I can speak from experience on Cali. Between swapping tires and weighing and inspections and on and on. I have learned from building cars, bikes and now MV's it is always best to go to the roughest neighborhoods where I don't know if it is just they might not be the most educated or what but they just seem to just push you on through and don't get hung up on technicalities.

:grd:

Jakob

I hope you don't have to have emissions every year!

When I got my 5-ton registered in Arizona it took forever in the DMV. First they wanted $700 becaused of the weight. Finally they registered it as an historic vehicle and tweeked the weight fees down to about $150. I was good for a year, but the renewal came and they are back up to $650. I haven't mustered the energy to face them again. Thing is that I probably didn't put more than 20 miles on the truck all year. Pretty expensive road fees!
I paid the same in KY for historic plates, it was right around $150. After 3 years of owning my truck, mine is officially legal and licensed now as well. I had to file an affidavit of ownership because the truck had never been licensed before and I had owned the truck for years with a clean title.

scoutmanadam

when i went to get mine licensed in washington, the auditors office wanted a scale ticket and a tax use for it because it was from out of state. i got all the forms they wanted, then couldnt make it to there office so i went to a independent licensing place and handed them the tax form and they said "whats this for". all they cared about was the title and bill of sale. sometimes it helps to pay a little more to go to a independent place.

defbob

wow, I feel lucky living in CT. I just bought my Deuce this past Wed night and registered it first thing Thurs morning. All I need was the bill of sale and proof I bought it from within state (no vin check or inspection for in-state purchase). Cost $158 with antique plates and is only $29/mo for insurance through State Farm Commercial Big Rig Policy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks