• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finaly got another MUTT

BG6

I used to have a 1968 Ford A1, then I has a divorce and a vindictive wife who didn't realize how much she really could have made on it.

Now I have made the deal on an A2, not too far from where I am working on this contract (California). I don't have all of the details, I checked it out and put some down on it today. It's got some cancer but not a lot and not in critical locations. I'm buying it as a utility beater anyhow. It also has the obligatory electrical challenges (bulbs, headlight switch, etc) that need to be checked out.

Some previous owner painted it with house paint and a roller, so I will be looking for a bead blaster! It also has the FAV-type basket on the right fender, and that will some off first thing. Since I've been away for over a decade. I don't know if these are in demand or not -- anyone trying to find one?

It also has what seems to be a map light, flip the switch one way for dim white, the other goes through a filter (IR?)

It has the deep fording kit on it, and of course the ROPS (with the ID plate add-on). The top is in VG condition, desert tan, so I guess I'm stuck with the tan color scheme when I repaint.

I will be looking for the antennas, mounts and tiedown kits, but I'm in no hurry for these.

There is a strange, though. The ID plate is BROWN, and it looks like it gives the mfg date as sometime in 1984! The dimensions plate is white with black markings. More on these later, unless someone has an answer to this mystery.

Even better, the California DMV issued it a whole new VIN (on a tag attached to the window frame), so I guess I will need one of those new ID plates with that number stamped on it when I register it in NV.

I'm also getting some extra parts, including a whole nother engine. a couple of distributors (mech and ss).

It's been sitting a while, and smoked a lot when started. The carb needs cleaning (at least), so it will be getting a can of Seafoam. With the choke halfway out, it ran just fine going around the block.

All in all, it seems well worth what I'm getting it for.

It feels good to be back in the MV family.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome (back?) to the site. People still look for them, I would like one myself, just no room. Got any pics?

Jay Mallari

I have seen sun faded data plates in brownish colour. The weight and dimension data plate with black letters/numbers comes with the ROPS kit, as it has to include the weight of the roll bars on the gross vehicle weight. Looking forward to seeing pics. Congratulations.

BG6

Pics will come after I get it in hand.

I dunno about the brown plate, it seems too even to be sunbaked (if you know what I mean) and the add-on strip is still a nice, crisp black. I'll look closer when it's in hand.

What did they do to mount an MG with the ROPS? Does it stick up far enough to clear, or is there a special mount? I want to stick a dummy or airsoft M240 on there.

BG6

For m60's and 50 cal's, it will clear the bar. I'm not sure, but you might need to use a universal pintel adapter to mount a m240. Here is a pic of mine
Forums for anyone interested in the M151 Jeep • View topic - My MUTT at the Philippine Int'l Hot Air Balloon Fiesta
Okay, those pics tell me what I needed to know.

I've never thought of the MUTT as a "babe magnet," though . . .must be a Pinoy thing. But I thought that it was a national law that all jeeps in the RP had to be bright red with lots of chrome and room in the back for 50 . . ? ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks