• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Find the funies...

hwcurtice

I came across this ad on line, and had to laugh. See if you can spot why:

Pinzgauer 712 for sale. Very low miles. Excellent condition. Parts are readily available. This is one of the most off road capable vehicles in the world. It will go places that you are unable to walk through. It is a 6 wheel drive vehicle. Check out some of the videos on youtube.com. This vehicle is for the extreme off road lover. It has been off road very few times. Truely a rare find.

Note. no link to ad or phone number for person selling.

hwcurtice

Yeah:

"Parts are readily available."

"It has been off road very few times." Right after "This is one of the most off road capable vehicles in the world. It will go places that you are unable to walk through." Seems every picture I see of these they are off road. I rarely see them on any road.

This comment was accurate: "Truely a rare find."

I'm not so sure about the low miles though. Never state how many are on it. What constitutes low miles on these anyway? Under 30K? Under 100K?

undysworld

Harold,

Well, as far as parts go, I can buy a brand new body for my 712 Pinz, IN STOCK, in Fayetteville NC. Many maintenance parts I buy at NAPA (filters, belt, relays, etc.). Nearly EVERY part I can get within 3 days, no problem. Look up Swiss Army Vehicles and check out their availability. Not bad for a 35 year old truck.

Despite their presence on youtube, I'd dare say that the majority of Pinz miles travelled in the states are on-road. But who wants to watch that?? They only post the most outrageous videos, so that's what you see the most.

As far as rare, well, I don't think they're THAT rare. Several dealers have them in stock throughout the country.

Mileage is another issue, like it is with any military or fleet vehicle. The speedo may have been swapped from another vehicle, so who knows?? But what's important with Pinzes, like many military vehicles, is less the age or mileage than the condition. Many Pinzes got new bodies during their life with the Swiss Army, so the body can mislead you. It isn't until you drive the vehicle that you can discover whether it's nice and tight or all flogged.

Most people haven't actually seen or driven in one. They're a pretty cool little truck.

hwcurtice

Harold,

Well, as far as parts go, I can buy a brand new body for my 712 Pinz, IN STOCK, in Fayetteville NC. Many maintenance parts I buy at NAPA (filters, belt, relays, etc.). Nearly EVERY part I can get within 3 days, no problem. Look up Swiss Army Vehicles and check out their availability. Not bad for a 35 year old truck.

Despite their presence on youtube, I'd dare say that the majority of Pinz miles travelled in the states are on-road. But who wants to watch that?? They only post the most outrageous videos, so that's what you see the most.

As far as rare, well, I don't think they're THAT rare. Several dealers have them in stock throughout the country.

Mileage is another issue, like it is with any military or fleet vehicle. The speedo may have been swapped from another vehicle, so who knows?? But what's important with Pinzes, like many military vehicles, is less the age or mileage than the condition. Many Pinzes got new bodies during their life with the Swiss Army, so the body can mislead you. It isn't until you drive the vehicle that you can discover whether it's nice and tight or all flogged.

Most people haven't actually seen or driven in one. They're a pretty cool little truck.
It seems that every time I try to find one, it's impossible. Or when I do, people seem to think they're made of gold, or platinum.

I do think they're great little rigs. Small enough to go places others are just too big to go through, yet roomy enough inside to haul most anything. I have seen a 4x4 model, in person (SHOCK) and my former chiropractor has a 6x6 that his brother-in-law currently is using. Why? I haven't the foggiest...

Would I mind having one? Heck yeah!. Can I afford one? Well, Champagne dreams on beer budget. Know what I mean?

undysworld

Harold,

Well, good luck on that. Although they don't have to be too expensive. A good decent 4x4 with tasteful upgrades can often be had for around 10k, and I just watched a project 6x6 go for $2500 (That's way cheap, even with a smoked 3rd cylinder.) More than your average deuce, but lots less than equipping a decent Toyota with full diff. locks and a suspension capable of hauling over a ton (6x6 hauls 1 1/2 tons).

Here's to being able to at least afford beer!!

Rory,

Here's a link to a pic of some Pinzes: Pinzgauer Images

The model 712 6x6 is about 30" longer, with a third axle (no surprise). It's about the same width and length as a Toyota crewcab pickup. They're available in soft top (M model) as well as hard top (K model) and some other more rare ones like heli-transport ambulance, workshop models and firetruck versions.

Cheers,
Paul

undysworld

Yeah, that would be a 710K, and they do go that high if they are in pretty good shape. The softtop M's are around 10K. Most of the 710Ks were radio trucks, but I've heard of 710K ambulances. If correct, they are very rare, to my knowledge.

At least they seem to have held their values pretty well, unless they really get thrashed, rusty, or broken down.

rorybellows

i saw that one too. both looked a little iffy just from the asthetics (sp)

id love to have one, but for that price it had better be nicer lookin than those. rare or not

m880 unimog

see a lot of pinz,s on the road round here-usually full of smiling gurka,s- all the newer ones for HM forces are made in england.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks