• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding Drill Bits

I am having a problem locating larger drill bits that will work on frames and the metal on a trailer I am modifying. SO far I need a 9/16 and there is a larger one as well that I don't have a size for. Anybody have a place that they get larger drill bits from that work well for metals?

Thanks, Mik

I can recommend these, as they worked fine for my purposes (metal lathe) and inexpensive.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Sil...993?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

These work well too, if you are drill through the thinner stuff, but I got mine through Harbor Freight. Again, fine for my purposes, but then I am not in the business of making money with my tools, well at least not my drill bits.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Step-Drill-2-pc-Set/H8197?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silver and Deming set from Harbor Freight (around $35) holding up well for me, however I have always be fairly good at resharpening them when they dull or chip the corners. I have been eyeing those step bits as well recently, but have no experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Silver and Deming set from Harbor Freight (around $35) holding up well for me, however I have always be fairly good at resharpening them when they dull or chip the corners. I have been eyeing those step bits as well recently, but have no experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I use them primarily in my mag drill, but have used them in the old gear reduced hand drill. Don't let them "catch" or your wrists will hurt for a week.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now if you have a mag drill, annular cutters are well worth the money. If you don't have a mag drill and have a bunch of frame holes to drill you might want to look into renting one.

gimpyrobb

Mine is an ancient B&D with a chuck, I have yet to get the adapter for annular cutters, but do have 2. I just need another metal project, and I will most likely upgrade at that point. Then again, twist bits have worked fine for the last 4yrs.

TsgtB

The step bit works well, as it starts small, and you feel it move to the next bigger step on the bit.
Mine has never dulled, but you must take care not to just "ram it home" or you'll end up with a 1/2" hole, when you only wanted 3/8"...
Drill a bit, catch your breath, see if the bolt will fit, repeat as required.

DeucesWild11

Step bits work for me too! I got a few from Harbor Freight and they last pretty well, only broke one or two, but for the price at HF who cares.

I pretty much only use them on metal when I need to drill out something.

gimpyrobb

Depends on how thick the metal is. If your not drilling sheet metal, the step bit is useless, imho of course.

DeucesWild11

You got to use sharp ones Gimpy! lol, It's a little harder yes but it works, just got to use the right type as there are a lot of different combinations/styles of them

gimpyrobb

You got to use sharp ones Gimpy! lol, It's a little harder yes but it works, just got to use the right type as there are a lot of different combinations/styles of them
I have sharp ones, but if you use them on thick metal you end up with a funnel type hole, not a hole with square sides!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't turn the larger bits too fast - that's probably as slow as you can go. Always use a pilot hole. For 9/16", my pilot would be no larger then then 3/16. Its easier to locate & the larger bit will follow it. The whole process will be a lot easier, using a pilot hole. Cutting oil is best -it's designed to remove heat, without lubricating. The small can will last forever. If your going to use drills (any of them), you need to learn how to sharpen them! It only takes a small grinder (of course - the bigger, the better). Do it by eye. Jigs are too slow. Study a good bit - how its ground, then grind yours. If you don't get it right, try again.

TsgtB

I marked my bolt locations, center punched them, the smallest bit on the tip of the step bit is roughly 3/16".
There is flat space for a almost 1/4" before the next larger step starts to cut.

At full diameter, I may have started to cut 1/16th or less into the metal, not the full width of the next larger step, at full depth.
I used the longer/skinnier bit with more space between steps. (The short fat ones would make "V")
IMO it was equal and easier than changing bits to next larger size.

A good ol' plug in drill, with some nads, and not a battery drill.
Did not use cutting oil, bit did not get very hot.

infidel got me

My local napa store sells what I call bodymans bits. They are 1/8 inch double headed bits, meaning the can be flipped in chuck when one end breaks or dulls. They are used to drill out spot welds on body panels. These are cheap and plenty sharp. I had good luck with these to start pilot holes.

Isawfrizzy

Don't turn the larger bits too fast - that's probably as slow as you can go. Always use a pilot hole. For 9/16", my pilot would be no larger then then 3/16. Its easier to locate & the larger bit will follow it. The whole process will be a lot easier, using a pilot hole. Cutting oil is best -it's designed to remove heat, without lubricating. The small can will last forever. If your going to use drills (any of them), you need to learn how to sharpen them! It only takes a small grinder (of course - the bigger, the better). Do it by eye. Jigs are too slow. Study a good bit - how its ground, then grind yours. If you don't get it right, try again.
Like rosco said, slow and cutting oil. Speed kills.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is an ancient B&D with a chuck, I have yet to get the adapter for annular cutters, but do have 2. I just need another metal project, and I will most likely upgrade at that point. Then again, twist bits have worked fine for the last 4yrs.
Uggg... but, I guess beats the old hand drill any day!
I have plenty of metal projects for you, and I'll even let you use my drill!
What speed does your old drill run? Mines a single speed 550RPM and is really pushing it with cutters over 1-1/4", you have to pour the cutting fluid to it.

gimpyrobb

Mine is in that neighborhood, but luckily the magnet is powered independent from the drill. I can hook up a router speed control and lower it all I want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks