• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding replacement headlights

Ajax MD

This might sound dumb but I'm not really interested in upgrading to LED headlights.

I recently purchased some Ashwami headlights off of fleabay. They actually state "made in the USA" but I'm highly skeptical. When when they arrived, the wires were tagged totally incorrectly and I smoked a headlight right away.

I've seen many 24v headlights that have 3 prongs on them. Has anyone made a reusable harness for the headlights that consists of the shell connectors at one end and the plastic block with female contacts on the other end? I have plenty of wire and shell connectors but I could use a part number for the 3-prong adapter/block that connects to the headlight itself.

Thanks!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with some 7” e-code h4 housings, h4 bulbs, and ceramic h4 pigtails with the pigtails off my original light bulbs spliced onto them. Those e-code lenses are fantastic!

Ajax MD

I went with some 7” e-code h4 housings, h4 bulbs, and ceramic h4 pigtails with the pigtails off my original light bulbs spliced onto them. Those e-code lenses are fantastic!
Can you expand on this a little? You installed permanent (non-sealed beam) housings and then you just swap out a smaller bulb similar to modern passenger cars?

Edit: Ok, I googled. I see what you did. This is a modification that I might be willing to make. Thanks!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, it was a very common jeep modification at one point, that you used to see in “kits”. I bought all my junk separately off ebay for well under $100 if IIRC. Don’t forget you need 24v hi/lo bulbs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I solder pigtails onto the prongs and then insulate with a blob of silicone. Also, there is no way to incorrectly wire up a 24 volt seal beam to make it burn out.

Ajax MD

I solder pigtails onto the prongs and then insulate with a blob of silicone. Also, there is no way to incorrectly wire up a 24 volt seal beam to make it burn out.
If you wire them improperly, you can cause the other headlight to burn out. I've done it twice. The first time was because the BACK of the bucket had the ground crossed with the low beam wire and the second time was because the wires were incorrectly labeled on the new bulb. Once I got the wires sorted out, I stopped blowing bulbs.

Let me clarify- The driver side had wire 91 on the low beam connection on the back. Some wise guy figured this out and the passenger headlight was wired up to match on the INSIDE of the bucket where you connect the bulb. I didn't know this. When the low beam burned out from normal use, I replaced the bulb and wired it up CORRECTLY causing a short to ground which burned out the low beam in the passenger side.

When I got the improperly tagged Ashwami bulbs, I inadvertently cause the same problem only this time, I blew out the DRIVER's low beam element. Once I figured out which wire was ground/low/high, I got all lights working correctly.

KN6KXR

Those e-code lenses, H4 24V high output bulbs and adapters look like the ticket! About $150 for all the parts is pretty budget friendly (in comparison to other options).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks