• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Firefighter veteran looking to buy a M923

irjames

Hello all,

I served in the Air Force for 4 years. Got out in '02 and became a firefighter. I'm in Afghanistan right now and have been for the last 3 years, as I work for the DOD as a contract firefighter. I worked at the motor pool in the AF and fell in love with the 2.5 and 5 ton trucks. Now, I'm at a point where I can purchase one for myself. I just became a member on this forum and have already been checking out threads on the Cummins 6CTA8.3 vs Cummins NHC-250 debate. I'm looking on government liquidation.com right now. Any suggestions for a new, first-time M923 buyer?????? Thanks guys!

GHall

You can check classified ads on here also. I would suggest trying to find someone that is willing to insure the truck first thing. I would also read the operations TM on your spare time. Other than that its seems mostly personal preference between the two motors and what you may be using it for. The 8.3L starts easier in the cold and is quieter than the 14L from what I have read. In Tx, cold shouldn't be much of a problem. Good luck!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and thank you for your service.

Check the classifieds on here to see what is available.

ntxcop

You're right down the road from me. Heck, I have a cousin who is a city council member for Crowley! Welcome aboard!

I just sold my M923 5-Ton last week and bought a M35A2 yesterday.

There's a guy down in Waxahachie named John Colwell who has a business buying and selling Military Vehicles. His website is www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com and he just got in 6-8 deuce trucks that were used as brush trucks by various fire departments. He also has a ton of other trucks for sale. You can look at his inventory on his website. He's close and has a lot of trucks, most look like they will need work, but it sounds like you know your way around them if you worked in the motor pool.

Good luck and welcome to the Green Affliction! :cookoo: :drool:

Keith

Last edited:

irjames

You can check classified ads on here also. I would suggest trying to find someone that is willing to insure the truck first thing. I would also read the operations TM on your spare time. Other than that its seems mostly personal preference between the two motors and what you may be using it for. The 8.3L starts easier in the cold and is quieter than the 14L from what I have read. In Tx, cold shouldn't be much of a problem. Good luck!
I'll check the classifieds! Who typically insures this type of vehicle? I'll look into it, thanks.

irjames

You're right down the road from me. Heck, I have a cousin who is a city council member for Crowley! Welcome aboard!

I just sold my M923 5-Ton last week and bought a M35A2 yesterday.

There's a guy down in Waxahachie named John Colwell who has a business buying and selling Military Vehicles. His website is www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com and he just got in 6-8 deuce trucks that were used as brush trucks by various fire departments. He also has a ton of other trucks for sale. You can look at his inventory on his website. He's close and has a lot of trucks, most look like they will need work, but it sounds like you know your way around them if you worked in the motor pool.

Good luck and welcome to the Green Affliction! :cookoo: :drool:

Keith
Good to hear I have someone close to me! Is there any specific reason you sold your 5-Ton to get a 2.5? I checked out John Colwell's site. I'm looking for a truck that I'm not going to have to do much restoration on. His lots seem to be pretty run down. He is close to me, so I might have to go check it out in person. Thanks for the warm welcome! I'd love to get together with you and check out your new ride!

Ian

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

They are some nice trucks out of red river occasionally.

Try gulfway for insurance. They deal in mv and race cars and friendly.

Stay Safe!

irjames

Just be carefully, and do your homework. Buy from GL only if you can put your hand on it. Otherwise buy from a private person, or a dealer like me, so you can test drive it, and make sure all is well. (NO SURPRIZES). It gets expensive very fast with these big trucks..
Kevin..
www.surplusmilitarydepot.com
Kevin, thanks for the buying advice. I do need to do more homework. I have 4-5 trucks on my wishlist on Govliquidation.com. They were all driven to the lot and run. I realize putting my hands on the truck would be best, but I'm still in Afghanistan and will be for another 8 months. I live in Texas and most of the quality lots I come across are in other states. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate your time,

Ian

GHall

Welcome!

They are some nice trucks out of red river occasionally.

Try gulfway for insurance. They deal in mv and race cars and friendly.

Stay Safe!
Yup, gulfway seems to be the way to go.. Someone mentioned speaking to Carol I believe, not positive on that part. Thanks for your service and feel free to holler anytime!

irjames

Yup, gulfway seems to be the way to go.. Someone mentioned speaking to Carol I believe, not positive on that part. Thanks for your service and feel free to holler anytime!
I'll check it out, thank you. You're welcome for my service, I'm proud to be an American!! What do you use your 932 for? Just toolin around, or do you put it to work?

GHall

I'll check it out, thank you. You're welcome for my service, I'm proud to be an American!! What do you use your 932 for? Just toolin around, or do you put it to work?
Mostly just toolin around.. I live on a ranch south of SanAntone so it's registered as a farm truck tractor and covered under the ranch policy. The only time it really goes into town is to get diesel and that's just 6mi down the access road. I buy a lot of feed and hay so I want to buy an M871 semi trailer for it but wanting and doing are two different things. I may just buy a 40ft gooseneck and convert the hitch on the truck or buy an adapter that way I can pull it with my F250 as well.

What r your plans for yours?

irjames

Lucky that you have some land! We live in your typical neighborhood, so I'm gonna have to store the truck elsewhere. Mine will mostly be for towing my fiancee's horse to shows. I've already looked into some ball-hitch mounts on different threads on this forum. It seems like an easy addition. You have a really nice rig! Right now, I'm researching places that will work on the 855 in my area. What is your experience with that engine? If I wait I can get the newer, turbo cummins. I'm leaning towards the 855 though.

ntxcop

Good to hear I have someone close to me! Is there any specific reason you sold your 5-Ton to get a 2.5? I checked out John Colwell's site. I'm looking for a truck that I'm not going to have to do much restoration on. His lots seem to be pretty run down. He is close to me, so I might have to go check it out in person. Thanks for the warm welcome! I'd love to get together with you and check out your new ride!

Ian
Ian,

For me, it was a financial decision. The 5-Ton is a MUCH nicer truck than the Deuce. It has newer technology, power steering and automatic transmission. I've driven both the Deuce and the 5-Ton, the 5-Ton is a lot easier to drive, quieter, and just seems more fun. BUT the 5-Ton does not have a multifuel engine. Me and two friends have a hookup with almost unlimited supply of used motor oil. We have a filter system and run a mix of 70% used motor oil and 30% diesel. It's like paying $1.10 a gallon for fuel, and the 5-Ton gets around 4-6 mpg, compared to 10-12 mpg on the Deuce.

So, for me, the Deuce makes more financial sense.

When you get back in country, send me a message and we'll meet up and I'll buy you a beer!

Be safe buddy!

Keith

irjames

Hmmmmmm, now you got my thinking, ha ha. Obviously, I don't plan on driving it on a regular basis but the MPG for the 5-Ton is absolutely awful. I might sacrifice the nicer feel of the 5-Ton to the more efficient engine of the deuce. Something to ponder... I appreciate your 2 cents.

I'll actually be home on RR in a week or so, so I'll shoot you a message to see if you want to hook up.

Take care and enjoy your rig!

Ian

GHall

Lucky that you have some land! We live in your typical neighborhood, so I'm gonna have to store the truck elsewhere. Mine will mostly be for towing my fiancee's horse to shows. I've already looked into some ball-hitch mounts on different threads on this forum. It seems like an easy addition. You have a really nice rig! Right now, I'm researching places that will work on the 855 in my area. What is your experience with that engine? If I wait I can get the newer, turbo cummins. I'm leaning towards the 855 though.
Thanks! I was very fortunate with my truck. Everything is fresh, not a speck of dirt anywhere and the motor is as shiny as it could be. It's got the LED dash warning lights with clear lenses which I've only seen in one other truck.

The civy hitch is a great idea and I wish I had enough room on the frame but the tractors don't allow enough room between the frame and the rear end. I'm sure on those threads you read it talked about the heavy duty curt receiver. That seems the way to go. As far as for the motors (personal opinion, haven't had any experience with the 8.3) I like the simplicity of the NHC-250.. They have the same amount of power. My truck runs like a dream and I love this motor but like I said, it's a fresh motor. I put a 1/2 gallon to 3/4 of Lucas in the motor and opti lube in the fuel tanks and it sounds very smooth. If you maintain the truck well and stay below 2000-2100 RPM it SHOULD last a long time but these are older trucks and high maintenance.

Gray

GHall

Also something to think about, the A-1/A-2 models come with the 14.00-20 super singles which are only rated for 56MPH, the truck can go faster but I highly recommend not doing so. The "A-0" models I believe can do 55 but I think that is very close to redline due to the smaller size tires. I think the deuce is a touch slower. Hills will slow you down pretty good loaded or unloaded. These trucks aren't hot rods. haha

irjames

Gotcha! You ever hear of anyone taking off the speed governor? I don't intend on making mine a "hot rod" as you say, but some more mph on the highway would be nice.