• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First 5 ton Purchase....Some Concerns...*Help Please*

pcblakeley

So, I have spent countless hours reading the posts in here and I am very impressed, SS is at the top of my favorites bar!

I recently sold my Hummer H1 and have been really wanting to get back into the military vehicle scene.....so, it only seems the logical thing to do is to upgrade to a 5 ton.... That leads me to my question for you 5 ton owners out there.

Hopefully my next purchase....

The truck is local (Detroit, Mi) and it is a 1968 Kasier Jeep M51A2 6X6 Dump Truck,
5Spd Manual, Diesel, Spring Suspension, Steel Wheels,

Odometer Reads 24570, VIN 9523-15159.

The truck will not shift out of low gear, and that is my question, should I be overly concerned with this? is it a common thing to happen and what are my options for troubleshooting this problem... I am hoping it is a simple fix, but since I am very new to these vehicles I am hoping that you guys and gals could shed some light on whether or not I should go down this path for this specific vehicle....

Question 2: Are there any vampires or special things that I should be looking out for on this vehicle model year or type?

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate you help and look forward to getting to reading your replies!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not shifting might be a broken part in the transmission. Might be a messed up clutch. No way to tell if it is serious.. you will probably have to pull the transmission to find out, which is a very very heavy item. I hope there is a deep discount for this problem. I would not consider it minor. MI - check for rust, and any evidence of freezing coolant, etc.

Not shifting might be a broken part in the transmission. Might be a messed up clutch. No way to tell if it is serious.. you will probably have to pull the transmission to find out, which is a very very heavy item. I hope there is a deep discount for this problem. I would not consider it minor. MI - check for rust, and any evidence of freezing coolant, etc.
I agree with OPCOM, have you checked out the rest of the truck?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm sorta confused...do you meant it will not come out of low gear? or low range?

If its low gear then theres a problem in the shifter/top plate...or the trans. If it just won't go into high range...i betcha its a linkage prob with the t-case.

Pappa-G

I'm sorta confused...do you meant it will not come out of low gear? or low range?

If its low gear then theres a problem in the shifter/top plate...or the trans. If it just won't go into high range...i betcha its a linkage prob with the t-case.
X2 time to get underneath with a flash light or up top with a wrench. Good Luck!

pcblakeley

Well today I got a call back from the seller who turns out to be a seized property holding company that is completely clueless about the truck. The call went like this...

Me: So, this truck is stuck in low gear huh?

Broker: Well, we have a so called mechanic that does a once over and reports to us on the condition and he tells me that it wont shift out of low gear.

Me: Ohhh, I see. Well did they drive it there?

Broker: No, we have to tow all vehicles because of liability.

Me: Can I take a look at the truck today?

Broker: Well, I am in Colorado and the truck is in Port Huron, MI.

Me: Oh, thats great, I am right next to that town today, can I get the address?

Broker: Blah Blah Blah, then the address.....

To make this a little shorter, the dang truck is 4 hours from Port Huron, Mi. And it is in a wrecking yard. So, I think I will chock this one up as a learning experience from Craigslist.

Thanks for the replies, I will hopefully be getting some advice in the near future from you guys on my future purchase.

pcblakeley

Well today I got a call back from the seller who turns out to be a seized property holding company that is completely clueless about the truck. The call went like this...

Me: So, this truck is stuck in low gear huh?

Broker: Well, we have a so called mechanic that does a once over and reports to us on the condition and he tells me that it wont shift out of low gear.

Me: Ohhh, I see. Well did they drive it there?

Broker: No, we have to tow all vehicles because of liability.

Me: Can I take a look at the truck today?

Broker: Well, I am in Colorado and the truck is in Port Huron, MI.

Me: Oh, thats great, I am right next to that town today, can I get the address?

Broker: Blah Blah Blah, then the address.....

To make this a little shorter, the dang truck is 4 hours from Port Huron, Mi. And it is in a wrecking yard. So, I think I will chock this one up as a learning experience from Craigslist.

Thanks for the replies, I will hopefully be getting some advice in the near future from you guys on my future purchase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks