• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First baby step mod for my new m936a2

Hawssie

Well I am really happy with my first M939 which happens to be the wrecker. But one of small annoying thing I noticed really quick was the lock on the rear PTO engagement lever. I assume mine is like the rest in which there is no easy way to release it, I used a pair of vise grips. I decided to do something about it when I was fixing the CTIS (which brings me to a question, where is a good place to get plug ends for the CTIS harness,specifically the 3 prong plug to the PCU). All I did was add a handle to the latch. Dont laugh I know its a small thing but it solved the problem and only took about 20 minutes since I had the knob on hand already.​

Attachments

70deuce

Great idea. They didn't make it easy to lock or unlock that engagement lever. Oiled mine and it moves easy but you you sort of need to a contortionist to get a finger in there to unlock it. Your mod makes it much easier I'm sure.

Hawssie

Yeah I now realize that most people don't use the lock out, When I got my first wrecker it was so tight I had to use vise grips, as I don't believe the rear hydraulics were used more then a few times(if that) since its rebuild and paint. The next one I got which wasn't a recent rebuild and more used, was unlocked already. But I still like the fact of being able to easily lock it for some reason. After that I made a bracket that rotates up from the floor on the E brake bolt and in turn locks the E brake up. From there you can padlock it. When not in use it lays flat on the floor out of the way. I did this after my neighbor said a couple of guys were crawling around one of my trucks when I wasn't around. Theses trucks attract all kinds of attention, both wanted and unwanted. A typical keyed ignition would work too but I think it takes away from the truck. This also adds a bit of safety as for example if kids start climbing around it and flip down the brake and put it in neutral (at least if there is still enough air to release the brakes) it could be a disaster.
But the mod I have been working on lately and most excited about is wireless remote control for the crane itself. As I always work alone and working the boom from the seat is not practical for me, nor is it fun constantly climbing off and on, not to mention the reduced visibility from the seat's blind side. I thought maybe some other people might be interested in one for themselves so when I am done and make sure all the bugs are out I will post it. Mine will be easy to install without having to change the main control valve which would add a lot of work and much$$$ I should be done in the next week or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks