• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First GenSet! Scared and need advice: MEP-803A no Quad mod yet 2008

Shaky_Jake

I recently aquired a MEP-803A from gov planet with 670ish hours on it. It was stated that "the item recieved power but would not turn on". But the batteries are dead, so I have not tried it out yet. I am concerned as to why the military would get rid of a unit with low hours on it anyway? I noticed that it does not have the fuse kit installed yet and I have one on order. My question is how common is the quad winding failure? and what signs should I look for and test besides the ohm readings of the windings? What is a bad quad reading? I quickly measured mine at the wires with an unreliable meter at 2 ohms. What do they read "real world" when bad?

Ray70

For a little piece of mind, quad failure is fairly uncommon, but definitely not non-existent.
75% of the units I got over the years did not have the mod installed and I never got a bad one. ( quad winding that is )
And, to your point.... many of them had single, double and triple digits on the clock and were as new as 2012.
The story goes that all of the 802/803 series was supposed to have been liquidated several years ago due to being replaced with the more efficient and emissions compliant 10XX series, among other reasons, but they are not ( exclusively ) selling off low hour units specifically because they are damaged or junk.
Not saying some of them aren't junks, just saying not to assume they ditched your low hour set because it is no good.

Shaky_Jake

Thanks for talking me back from the edge! I have property that does not have power and does not need it all the time but I am there almost daily. I started looking for what I would consider a "power plant" rather than the consumer Honda EU3000is I have been using. The honda has been good but after opening it up to work on the bearing seal I kinda thought there has to be something more robust. That lead me to these. And from what I see so far, I love it! Diesel, 3 phase, water cooled, quality wiring, scematics, quality gauges, aux fuel capabilities, skid and lift hooks! Whats not to love! Like I said, I wanted more of a power plant and this appears to be that. Next, I will have to get a proper power distribution plan with breakers.

Ray70

You're gonna love your 803. Quiet, dependable and will give you and honest 12+Kw 24/7 without flinching.
Just follow the advise of all the folks here on SS and if you run into any issues we'll get you through it.
Once you're up and running, there's tons of advice here on upgrades, maintenance, replacement parts to keep on hand and things to be aware of, wet stacking for example.
You'll find hours and hours of informative reading right here at you fingertip!
Welcome to the SS forum!

windyhill

Watch out!!!! Before long you will want another one! Ask how many of us here only have one. Besides what better than to have a parts machine ready to support the main one. Its an addiction thing
Ha ha, I got one a few years back, I was looking for another one recently. I love it and regret not getting another one or two.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i feel like that commercial with the guy who got hair replacement treatment and liked the company so much he bought it. i loved the generators so much i started fixing and selling them. keeping my lips closed as to how many and the variety i have. Lets just say that once you work on one all the other models seem interesting enough that you just want to try one out

Shaky_Jake

Its been a few weeks since the first post so I thought I would follow up. I removed and charged the completely dead AGM batteries with success. I used them in other equipment for a few times to make sure they work. They did get warm on one of my charges but appear to be doing their job. I installed the quad mod fuse kit, filled the tank with #2 diesel and she started right up!!! Yessss! BUT, the only thing is that I do not have power out of the contactor. I do have power before it and read good power on the gauge, but it appears as if the contactor isnt getting pilot power or the coil is bad. I will have to dig into the wiring diagram to troubleshoot it out. Is the coil for the contactor 24vdc? I would assume so but did not begin troubleshooting yet as I ran out of daylight. Thank you all for the help!

Ray70

K1 is known to hang up occasionally if the set hasn't been used in a long time.
Before you go crazy testing thinks, start by whacking the top of it with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer while clicking the contactor switch up.
If that doesn't work the TM tells you where to apply ground and 24V to jump the coil to test it.
If that passes, test the wiring continuity and the switch, as well as the diode that's on the switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks