• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First long trip

chicklin

Sorry, no pics :)

Took a two hour trip (4 hours rount trip) this weekend. This was the first long trip with the deuce, so I was interested to see how it went. She ran great on the highway. Once the engine and tires were warm, I was humming at 55 mph and staying above 50 on the hills. Seems like it took about 30-45 minutes on the highway to get to that point.

It made it into our farm on the mud road no problem. Just put it in 1st gear, engage the front axle and let it churn it's way out. I spent $20 at the car wash afterwards.

On the way home, I absolutely shredded both generator belts. I was riding a long and I heard a big "thunk" and a big puff of smoke came up through the floor. I thought, oh crap, this is going to be bad. Fortunately, I was only a mile or two outside of town and was able to be rescued by my grandma and CarQuest.

Once I was back up and running, everything went well. I was very pleased with my first long trip in the deuce. I need to tighten my mirrors and parking brake, otherwise, everything went well. Awesome truck and it was a lot of fun to drive on the highway.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that happen. BTW closely inspect the little tab or ear on your alternator that is where the tension bracket bolt is. Mine had a hairline crack which I did not know about and it broke at an unexpected time, rendering any new belts useless. If it were not for alphadeltaromeo and a ride to the store, I would have been stuck.

67Cougar

Chicklin,

Do you have the part numbers for the Carquest belts?

I'm getting ready to drive my Deuce on a 850 mile trip. Might be a good idea to have a spare set.

Jeff

chicklin

67Cougar said:
Chicklin,

Do you have the part numbers for the Carquest belts?

I'm getting ready to drive my Deuce on a 850 mile trip. Might be a good idea to have a spare set.

Jeff
The generator/fan belts are 9470. Not sure about the compressor belt. I think they are all in the parts cross-reference.

67Cougar

Thanks,

Wish me luck. I have never had my Deuce more than about 30 miles from the house. Now I'm going to drive it 850 miles. I should have a good story to post when I'm done. The madness starts in about 2 weeks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks