• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First M35A2c road trip!

Deester157

Hey guys, about to go on an adventure from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Bergheim, Texas to pick up my first Duece and I’ll be driving her back home. Trip is about 600 miles. I know I will need to bring supplies such as fluids and tools but I was more curious about help along the way if I do get into trouble. Was wondering the best way to get in contact with some members who may be close to my route and willing to lend a hand if I run into complications that are beyond my knowledge or that I may not have the tools for. A few emergency contacts would be great. They would be greatly appreciated and compensated if necessary. I plan on learning a lot about these trucks and doing most all repairs myself but I have no experience as of right now. I am currently reading all the TMs before my trip and the truck is completely refreshed so everything should go smooth, just wanting some extra security just in case I get stranded and can’t get back up and going. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

18operator

Welcome from N.E. Ohio! Best bet is to have Steel Soldiers on your phone, ready to ask questions as they come up. If the truck is ready to go hopefully everything will go smooth. Just remember, the Deuce's top speed is 55 with a good tailwind. So be aware of the other drivers around you.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@BigRig379 may have some suggestions.

I'd do it in two easy days. Don't drive tired. If you're too tired to change a tire, you're too tired to drive.

Brakes are the biggest worry. Check brake fluid at every stop.

Here's how I'd do it -

Check fluids and tires and inspect brakes for leaks. Drive 50 miles or so and feel the hubs. Any hub warmer that the others is worrisome. Check brake fluid again, fill the fuel tank and drive another 150 miles or so. Repeat.

I'd stop for the night before it gets dark. A tire change mid-afternoon isn't so bad, but at 0200 it's far less fun. And you're in an unfamiliar vehicle that's hard to see in the dark.

Deester157

Welcome from N.E. Ohio! Best bet is to have Steel Soldiers on your phone, ready to ask questions as they come up. If the truck is ready to go hopefully everything will go smooth. Just remember, the Deuce's top speed is 55 with a good tailwind. So be aware of the other drivers around you.
Thank you! Been waiting a long time to own a Deuce and join the club! Yes sir, thank you and that’s a good option. Really loving the MV community already with all the help, and Steele Soldiers is installed on my phone ready to go. Definitely gunna be a long ride home and will definitely be aware of other drivers. Thank you for the response and good advice!!

Deester157

@BigRig379 may have some suggestions.

I'd do it in two easy days. Don't drive tired. If you're too tired to change a tire, you're too tired to drive.

Brakes are the biggest worry. Check brake fluid at every stop.

Here's how I'd do it -

Check fluids and tires and inspect brakes for leaks. Drive 50 miles or so and feel the hubs. Any hub warmer that the others is worrisome. Check brake fluid again, fill the fuel tank and drive another 150 miles or so. Repeat.

I'd stop for the night before it gets dark. A tire change mid-afternoon isn't so bad, but at 0200 it's far less fun. And you're in an unfamiliar vehicle that's hard to see in the dark.
Yes sir that’s what I was thinking. Two easy days with a good nights rest sounds good to me. And 100% on driving during the day! I will bring extra brake fluid and do exactly what you mentioned. Thank you for the great advice and I will definitely be taking my time and keeping an eye on everything. It’s a USAF dual circuit brake truck with brakes and components recently checked and refreshed soI I do feel better about that. I’m in no rush, just wanna get back home and do it safely lol!

BigRig379

Just a suggestion but take hwy 71 and not interstate 49. When you first go south. There’s only a couple hills this way and less of a chance of getting ran over. Whatever gear it takes to climb you need to be at least that gear going down or one lower. It will be a lot slower that way but if you lose brakes your engine will do the braking for you.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Judging by your pickup destination you're buying one of my former 1987 M35A2C Air Force trucks from Tinker AFB. I won't dox (disclose without permission) the owner's name but he's very passionate about Air Force legacy. The deuce you're getting has been gone through above and beyond for the guy so I'm disappointed he's selling it so soon. At the same time, I'm glad to see it's getting a new home. The truck will run like a "raped ape" and should treat you well. Bring extra, fluids (15w40, water, grease), belts, and of course tire changing tools (jack, tire iron or equivalent). Don't forget a way to charge your phone and some sort of music. If you have an issue near DFW my motor pool and assistance are available.

Deester157

I’m curious is the truck in question yellow? Other than that you have everything down. If you have problems reach out I’m nearby fortsmith. I have a gooseneck if you’re in a bind. If you don’t have dot5 orellys is the only place around here that has it in stock.
No sir it's not yellow. That's awesome, thank you for that! Your not far from me! Hopefully it will g9 smooth but it doesn't hurt to have some backup if things go south so your offer is very much appreciated! Looks like the entire braking system was gone through and Dot3 was put back in. Not sure if that's good or bad but Dot3 is cheaper and easier to find!

Deester157

Just a suggestion but take hwy 71 and not interstate 49. When you first go south. There’s only a couple hills this way and less of a chance of getting ran over. Whatever gear it takes to climb you need to be at least that gear going down or one lower. It will be a lot slower that way but if you lose brakes your engine will do the braking for you.
Ok. Yes sir I thought about taking 71. Great info! Don't mind going slower and safer for sure! Thank you!

Deester157

Judging by your pickup destination you're buying one of my former 1987 M35A2C Air Force trucks from Tinker AFB. I won't dox (disclose without permission) the owner's name but he's very passionate about Air Force legacy. The deuce you're getting has been gone through above and beyond for the guy so I'm disappointed he's selling it so soon. At the same time, I'm glad to see it's getting a new home. The truck will run like a "raped ape" and should treat you well. Bring extra, fluids (15w40, water, grease), belts, and of course tire changing tools (jack, tire iron or equivalent). Don't forget a way to charge your phone and some sort of music. If you have an issue near DFW my motor pool and assistance are available.
Yes sir, it is USAF Deuce from Tinker AFB! He is very passionate about his MVs and Air Force legacy and is a great guy! Yes sir he told me all about the things that were done to it and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to purchase it. Have seen a lot of the videos on YouTube and I believe he said this truck was in a few of the videos. Yes it's gunna have a great home for a very long time! I plan to bring all mentioned fluids and tools. Really loving the MV community already! Its amazing how many people have reached out for help or advice. Bought a charging block and portable radio already because music will be a must for the long drive! I really appreciate the offer and will definitely let you know if I need any assistance! Can't wait to get her home!!

Deester157

Judging by your pickup destination you're buying one of my former 1987 M35A2C Air Force trucks from Tinker AFB. I won't dox (disclose without permission) the owner's name but he's very passionate about Air Force legacy. The deuce you're getting has been gone through above and beyond for the guy so I'm disappointed he's selling it so soon. At the same time, I'm glad to see it's getting a new home. The truck will run like a "raped ape" and should treat you well. Bring extra, fluids (15w40, water, grease), belts, and of course tire changing tools (jack, tire iron or equivalent). Don't forget a way to charge your phone and some sort of music. If you h
Tried to PM you but for some reason it’s not letting me. Would you mind sending me a PM? I just had a question for you. Thanks

afc2324

I predict you wont have any issues on the trip all the way home. It's always good to be prepared "just in case" but this is a solid, late model, fantastic deuce! It's ready to get out and stretch its legs.........at 2000 rpms. :)

Deester157

I predict you wont have any issues on the trip all the way home. It's always good to be prepared "just in case" but this is a solid, late model, fantastic deuce! It's ready to get out and stretch its legs.........at 2000 rpms. :)
Thank you for the reassurance and reply! Yes sir, it’ll be a good stretch! Can’t wait to get acquainted with her for about 600 miles! Thank you again!

Deester157

Hey guys, been under the weather since returning home with the Deuce but I’m finally able to report back on my trip and say thank you for all of the good advice and information. Things went smooth with only a few minor problems along the way. A few burnt out bulbs, a leaking radiator hose, and a leak from the speedo cable adaptor were the only issues I had. Radiator hose clamp was a little loose so that was an easy fix but I did have to add gear oil to the transfer case a few times to keep her full until I got home due to the adaptor leaking. I will probably take the speedo cable off and plug it for now until I can fix the adaptor. All in all, she drove like a dream (very slow at 40 mph) for the 600 miles home and it was a great learning experience and one that I will definitely not forget. I am so thankful for all the tips and offers for assistance if it was needed along my journey. And I am very proud to be an owner of a Deuce and part of the MV community. Just wanted to report back and say thank you to all that replied to my thread!! It was very helpful and very much appreciated!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys, been under the weather since returning home with the Deuce but I’m finally able to report back on my trip and say thank you for all of the good advice and information. Things went smooth with only a few minor problems along the way. A few burnt out bulbs, a leaking radiator hose, and a leak from the speedo cable adaptor were the only issues I had. Radiator hose clamp was a little loose so that was an easy fix but I did have to add gear oil to the transfer case a few times to keep her full until I got home due to the adaptor leaking. I will probably take the speedo cable off and plug it for now until I can fix the adaptor. All in all, she drove like a dream (very slow at 40 mph) for the 600 miles home and it was a great learning experience and one that I will definitely not forget. I am so thankful for all the tips and offers for assistance if it was needed along my journey. And I am very proud to be an owner of a Deuce and part of the MV community. Just wanted to report back and say thank you to all that replied to my thread!! It was very helpful and very much appreciated!
Good for you - and THANK YOU for driving her at about 40mph.
The truck will appreciate you treating her that way.

Looks like you are in the group with the rest of us now...

Deester157

Good for you - and THANK YOU for driving her at about 40mph.
The truck will appreciate you treating her that way.

Looks like you are in the group with the rest of us now...
Yes sir! Most all of the trip was about 40mph. Some 35mph as well. Never went above 2000 rpm’s the whole trip. Few downhill moments I believe she went over 40mph but never over 45mph. Made the trip a lot longer but wanted to baby her and get used to her. Was a fun ride! Glad to be part of the group! Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks