• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first m880/what engines

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Chrysler 318 V8. LA series small block, 2 bbl carb.

Elwenil

Agreed, only one drivetrain combo was ever used and that was the 318 2BBL, 727 automatic, NP203 transfer case, full time 4WD D44 front axle and D60 rear axle, both with 4.10 gears.

hadfield4wd

Elwin,

Howdy I've seen you around on the boards and didn't I wheel Potts with you? I'm Stu's friend with the beat up xj. Anyway I have found a 4door W200. 1968 Model. It's got a US Government plackard. But my question is it's got a 383 and a 4 speed to a divorce mount tcase that I think may be a rockwell. However the plate says the engine is a "225". Does that mean it came with the 6 cyl and somebody swapped in the 383?

Elwenil

It's very possible. The Potts trail is our local trail and I was up there quite a lot in years past. Can't afford to get up there as much as I'd like now. If you met me I was most likely in a very noisy black '74 W100 with a bobbed bed, canvas cover, stacks up through the bed and was probably having carb problems, lol. I think one of the guys from the SWVA4W club winched me up Burnt Bridge in an exo'd XJ.

As far as the '68 CrewCab, most likely the 383 was swapped in. It was possible to get a 383 in those trucks but if the plate says it was a Slant 6, most likely either the body or engine was swapped at some point. If the truck is a W200, it may have a divorced NP201, which is a slightly larger and supposedly stronger version of the NP205. Of course once things start getting swapped, anything is possible.

hadfield4wd

It's very possible. The Potts trail is our local trail and I was up there quite a lot in years past. Can't afford to get up there as much as I'd like now. If you met me I was most likely in a very noisy black '74 W100 with a bobbed bed, canvas cover, stacks up through the bed and was probably having carb problems, lol. I think one of the guys from the SWVA4W club winched me up Burnt Bridge in an exo'd XJ.
That wasn't me. That would have been Jim (Cecil). You don't have a J 10? I'm friends with Stu F. I could have you confused for another Elwin from Covington. If it was you I was the guy that ripped my leg up on his Jeep.

As far as the '68 CrewCab, most likely the 383 was swapped in. It was possible to get a 383 in those trucks but if the plate says it was a Slant 6, most likely either the body or engine was swapped at some point. If the truck is a W200, it may have a divorced NP201, which is a slightly larger and supposedly stronger version of the NP205. Of course once things start getting swapped, anything is possible.
It' is a divorced case. Thanks for the info. I can't decide if I want to make a retro tow rig.

Elwenil

Elwenil is not my actual name, just my "Internet persona", lol. My actual name is Lanty. I think I remember your name from the SWVA4W board. I'm friends with Martin from back when I had an M715 but it never saw the road. The only person I know of with a J10 that wheeled on Potts was Earl Moats. I think he was actually a SWVA4W member for a while. If you see a white Ramcharger on 37s on the trail, that's me. ;)

As far as the CrewCab, anything you do with it is going to be cool. Those old Sweptline trucks are a love/hate deal as far as styling, but they are good solid trucks. The popularity of them out West means there is some good sheetmetal available. I am told that the steering setup is a bit odd and hard to get parts for so a swap to a later setup might be something to consider.

Attachments

hadfield4wd

Elwenil is not my actual name, just my "Internet persona", lol. My actual name is Lanty. I think I remember your name from the SWVA4W board. I'm friends with Martin from back when I had an M715 but it never saw the road. The only person I know of with a J10 that wheeled on Potts was Earl Moats. I think he was actually a SWVA4W member for a while. If you see a white Ramcharger on 37s on the trail, that's me. ;)
Yeah I'm around. I don't do potts anymore as a driver as I'm not lisenced or registered anymore. I usually ride shotty. I see you on Swva's board. Maybe Earl is right. His wife is Linda or something?

I'll look for you when I'm out.

As far as the CrewCab, anything you do with it is going to be cool. Those old Sweptline trucks are a love/hate deal as far as styling, but they are good solid trucks. The popularity of them out West means there is some good sheetmetal available. I am told that the steering setup is a bit odd and hard to get parts for so a swap to a later setup might be something to consider.
Yeah I've looked it over pretty good. I really like the body. It needs a cab though. I have started looking and couldn't find one that easily. I can' decide if I want to pull the trigger on it. The steering would go away pretty quickly. It has a closed knuckle drum brake 44 in the front. I'd through in a chevy d60 and swap to a chevy power steering setup with hydro boost for the brakes. After all the bodywork. I can see myself sinking 10k in a truck worth 5k.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks