• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MB

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
New to me MB. Frame number puts it at a late '45. Engine number falls within the range of the frame so could be original to jeep. Body is shot. Engine turns over, going to see if it'll run. From the little bit of searching I did, the top appears to be for an M38. This is my first WWII jeep. Still need to decide what I'm going to do with it but the more I'm around it the more I like it. 20231216_093608.jpg20231216_112542.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great find. Still has the blackout drive lamp bracket. Yes most WWII Jeeps that have lived outside have bad bodies, 80 years in the weather is a long time for thin sheet metal. Hope you can bring it back like you have with the 151s.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
After cleaning the jeep out, I pulled the plugs and poured diesel fuel down each cylinder. First plug I touched broke off at the base but this was removed with an easy out. After letting this soak for a bit, I put a pipe wrench on the crank pulley bolt and turned a small amount. Great, it's not seized! A few days later I made a hand crank. 20231216_195702.jpg
20231216_205346.jpg20231224_175042.jpg20231224_175504.jpg20231224_175458.jpg

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Good news! She runs! I replaced coil, condenser, plugs and plug wires this morning. The carburator had nuts and seeds laying on top of the throttle valve. I pulled the carb, held the throttle and choke open, blew it out with air and hit it with carb cleaner. Put it back on. Rigged up a gas feed and hit the carb with ether while my brother in law ran the starter button. I made a jumper wire for the coil off of the battery as the wiring is shot. The jeep rolled over about 2 times and started! I couldn't believe it! After about 3 minutes of using ether to keep it running, it was able to run off of the carb / gas set up. I shut it off after about 5 min and dropped the oil. Replaced with fresh oil and added some Marvel oil. The oil that was in the jeep was actually pretty decent looking. Also used 2 stroke mix in the gas. Started jeep back up with fresh oil and let it run for about 10 min. Went back out and started again a few hours later. The radiator is holding water which also surprised me. The video isn't the smothest, I was excited!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks