• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post, picked up a m101a3

patrickg

So I headed up there today to pick my trailers up. Rented a flatbed trailer, filled the suburban up and hit the road bright and early. I got to the base and they scaned my id and off I went to building 146. They then told me that my stuff was in the yermo depot and I would probably need a day pass. So I went to go get a day pass and was told I couldn't get one because my registration was expired (its in process and just needs smog to finnish) and the incomplete wasnt good. So I went over to yermo just to see if I could get in by id and no dice. So I went back to the pass office and explained my situation (took the day off, rented a trailer, just need smog to finnish reg) and she still said no. So pissed off and wasted a couple hours there I headed home. I only wasted about $200 today. Now I have to wait to the 14th to head back.

MarcusOReallyus

Wow. Sorry to hear that. :(

If you had asked here, we'd have warned you. If your license, registration, and insurance aren't 100% in order, you aren't getting onto any military base that I know of. And if you are in a state that has safety inspection stickers or smog stickers, add those to the list. Make sure you have all the required seatbelts, etc. If it's something you COULD get any hassle about from a civilian cop, just assume it WILL stop you cold when trying to get on a military base. Any regulations or requirements that exist will be enforced to the letter of the law.

For future reference, just take that as a given fact of life, like gravity. You don't argue with it, you don't question it, you just build your life around the fact of it.

Last edited:

patrickg

So last thursday I borrowed my cousin's truck and rented a u-haul trailer to go get the trailers. My girlfriend and I spent about 2.5hrs just getting one on there (had to take a tire off to get it to fit) and we were exhausted, so we left the other there (my cousin is going to pick his up). So we towed it half way to my cousin's house where my suburban was and unloaded it. I then towed it the rest of the way home on the ground. It pulled great and hardly knew it was there and made it home with no issues (especially since I didn't have lights on it). Overall its in good shape other than the paint. I will have to put the rails back together, but they are also in good shape. I thought about making the harness adapt to my truck, but an adapter and lights would cost more than completely re-wiring it. Over the weekend I took out the military wires and taillights. I picked up a flat-4 harness from the local autoparts store and ordered a bunch of led's off ebay (2 amber 3/4", 2 red 3/4 and 6" red oval's with buckets). I plan on putting the buckets where the mil lights went and putting the little led's in the corners of the bed. Also I only had to put one quick link in my hitch to make the safety chains work.

Attachments

patrickg

Nice and bright! That will keep the Prius drivers from driving under the rear of the trailer.
Ar you going to paint to match the burb?
Not sure (still need to repaint the suburban & pick a color). Right now im just going to finnish painting the frame black and leave the tub as is. I did notice alot yesterday when towing it when I stopped the trailer would surge and bang against the truck as I stopped. Is there something to adjust or is this normal with the pintle set up. Hopefully tonight I will get the amber sidemarkers wired and the plate light so it can be all lit up when I get my plates next week (hopefully).

patrickg

So today was my appointment for the DMV. I told them I put it together from pieces and they allowed it. There was a SN on what was left of the data plate and that became my vin with the usmc as the mfg and first digits of my vin. So now my trailer has its plate and title and is legal to be on the road. :jumpin:

patrickg

Hello again. So I have used my trailer a couple of times (once to pick up a jeep tub) and I have since changed tow vehicles. My new one is much shorter than my monster suburban, so I need to lower it some how. I have been trying to sell my tires locally with no luck. Is there a way to convert the hubs to a different bolt pattern? I have a set of 6lug hubs off my suburban that may work (I have a 6 lug tow vehicle) but I don't feel like taking a hub off to see if it will work. Could someone possibly point me in the direction of the spindle size or know of what would work? Thanks in advance.