• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First start up of MEP-003

Sturgis7754

On the torque of the cap over the delivery valve, it is just that, a cap. It is on there pretty tight, but I generally put them back on using a 1/2" socket wrench and 15/16" socket, hand tight plus an additional smack with the side of my fist, but the pump repair manual says 50-55Ft/lbs, then loosen and retighten to 60-65 Ft/lbs
Question, before start up would you inspect and clean the strainers in the fuel pumps, and if so clean them how?

Sturgis7754

Thank you for your reply rickf. I have no idea how many hours are on this machine. The date on the machines plate is 86. I am trying to find and buy the spin on adapter, I have seen on this SS sight, so far no luck. I would definitely drain the oil and put on new filter. How long a period would you suggest running it, then changing again? Thank you for your help. Sturgis7754
Upon further inspection machine shows 7782 hours. From what I have gathered 10000 hours usually means time for rebuild, so I think I have a few hours before that time arrives. What you guys think?

Guyfang

Staff member
Question, before start up would you inspect and clean the strainers in the fuel pumps, and if so clean them how?
Of course. I would have done that first. Its simple, easy, and you are working in a system. Meaning, start at the start, end at the end. Ding things half way is a good way to do it wrong. What ever the task is, start at point A, go towards point Z. Uninterupted.

Sturgis7754

Of course. I would have done that first. Its simple, easy, and you are working in a system. Meaning, start at the start, end at the end. Ding things half way is a good way to do it wrong. What ever the task is, start at point A, go towards point Z. Uninterupted.
Thanks for the advice. I am starting at the fuel tank and working my way to the injecters. How do you clean the strainers, they seem to be made of plastic and I don’t want to damage them. So use gas or carburetor cleaner, or just wash in diesel? Thanks again Sturgis7754

Guyfang

Staff member
I used carb cleaner, Gas, Diesel and even alcohol. Dont forget the pumps. With the bottoms off, turn on the pumps. feel them work. Then turn the switch to AUX, and feel the AUX pump work. Then put some freash diesel in the tank, and put the pumps back togather. Disconnect the hose from the input side of the first filter, and direct it to a glass jar. Turn on the pumps. Fill up the glass and take a look see. Clean fuel? Then good. Not? then more work is required. Some of the other should chime in. I have no experience with SEA FOAM, but it sounds like something to add to your fuel system, to help clean it out, and keep it clean.

Sturgis7754

I used carb cleaner, Gas, Diesel and even alcohol. Dont forget the pumps. With the bottoms off, turn on the pumps. feel them work. Then turn the switch to AUX, and feel the AUX pump work. Then put some freash diesel in the tank, and put the pumps back togather. Disconnect the hose from the input side of the first filter, and direct it to a glass jar. Turn on the pumps. Fill up the glass and take a look see. Clean fuel? Then good. Not? then more work is required. Some of the other should chime in. I have no experience with SEA FOAM, but it sounds like something to add to your fuel system, to help clean it out, and keep it clean.
Thank you for your help. You guys are truly masters , and I do appreciate very much all of the sage advice you guys are passing along to me, and your patience, as I fumble along.
Did I read in a post that there is a more in-depth manual for the 003, other than the ( MEP-003A Operator and Organizational Maintance Manual TM-5-6115-585-12), that I have downloaded?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks