• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First timer needs help with M35A3 project

Monstermetal

First off I would like to say I kind of understand how it is to deal with someone who wants to play in your hobby but doesn't have a clue. I am a blacksmith by trade, own a fab shop and participate in quite a few other forums and I no longer even look at the "how do I make a knife from a railroad spike" posts because you can only explain and answer silly questions so many times before you crack.... So forgive me for being the clueless new guy.

I do have experience building 4 X 4 rigs and can build anything out of metal (My shop motto is the only thing a blacksmith cant make with metal is money) I have a 6500 sq foot shop with cranes and a forklift and real fab equipment, Im not a back yard wanna be who thinks he is going to set the world on fire with a torch and a 110V welder

So that being said I dont know diddly about military trucks, I'm not a diesel mechanic or any really any kind of mechanic but I am fairly mechanically inclined... Part of the reason I said all that is I am open to some extensive fabrication that you might not recommend to a first time guy.

So assuming the ECU clears I and a friend are the proud new owners of a 1993 M35A3. He has a Unimog and we have talked for maybe a year now about bobbing a deuce. It has seemed like the local GL auctions where mostly 5 ton trucks which I bid on a few until this week a couple M35A3's came up at Ft Lewis... The truck has 3500 miles / 279 hrs and they claim runs so I am hopeful that mechanically there is a minimum amount to do. The plan as it stands is to have a set of springs made and I will fab the hangers and shackles but we also talked about doing a 4 link with coil overs or maybe even airbags... I dont want to go super nuts being a deuce virgin but mostly only because I want to drive the thing this winter.. The thinking on building springs rather than using a reclaimed front set is better ride quality and articulation. we might haul a bit in it but nothing you wouldnt put in a one ton truck so my thought is Id rather spend $600 on custom springs and make them work well rather than having the stiff massive front units. Anyone done custom springs? Also I would just like some tips/tricks from those who have done a few if there are any... Pretty vague I know but as soon as I can get the truck to my shop I want to tear into to it so I figured I better get my head around a plan.. Thanks in advance...
Larry (Monster Metal)

Monstermetal

Thanks for the suggestions... I belong to quite a few forums and every one of them the search function sucks... Never even crossed my mind Doh!

markmontana

Hi and welcome to the nuthouse of military trucks.

I would say to get your truck home, learn all about it, fix it up and run it and enjoy it. THEN decide about bobbing it. Take your time. Doesn't make sense to bob a truck and find issues you're not happy with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks