• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixed It!!!!!

Croatan_Kid

Well...a short lived victory was putting in my freshly built 700R4. It crapped out about 30 miles later :cry:

Anyway, last night and this morning I pulled it out and proceeded to take it completely apart...AGAIN....only to find absolutely nothing wrong with it! The clutches still had the manufacturers writing on them!

I think my problem was partially the clutch material from the previous owner who SMOKED the clutches...bad. After I pulled it apart and cleaned everything out, it worked great! Also, I used Advance Auto house brand trans fluid, bad idea. This time I used Type F and all is well. :D

aboonski

Are you using a 700R4 behind a 6.2 in your M1008? I have one that I pulled out of an 86 K5 that was rebuilt but it is from a 350 TBI motor - not diesel. What has to be done to make the swap? I am also curious to know if it does anything to improve the top speed and fuel economy.

Al Broadbent

86 M1008A1

Croatan_Kid

You'll need to get a low stall, diesel converter, a diesel governer for the trans (blue gear on the end) and a spring in the throttle valve needs to be changed out. No big deal really. Most 700Rs were behind gas motors...mine was too and I had to change a few things, but I was rebuilding it anyway...

Thankfully it was a fairly cheap fix...about 60 bucks for 18 quarts or Type F trans fluid and a new transmission filter kit. Not too bad, plus I did all the work myself.

AJMBLAZER

RE: good...

Isn't Type F the Ford spec tranny fluid?

Seems to me the 700R4 should get the latest Dexron whatever. IV or something now I think.

Croatan_Kid

Yeah, it's the Ford stuff. It's much better than the multi-vehicle crap that most people seel now and at "only" 2.88 a quart, it's much cheaper than Dexron 6 at 5.20 a quart! I think the local fellers run it in there mud bog trucks too. I don't see where it will hurt anything, but if it does I will report.

My buddy works at Advance Auto and he looks at the labels of stuff quite a bit and noticed that one the back of B&M Trick Shift it says "meets or exceeds Type F specifications". :shock:

AJMBLAZER

Ford's got a variety of additives and special requirements in their trans fluid. Not sure what those are though.

If I recall correctly Valvoline and Mobil make Dexron specific trans fluids. Will be able to tell you soonish as Big Ugly needs a trans fluid change.

Croatan_Kid

Forgot to mention that until tonight, I hadn't ever had a torque converter lockup kit installed. It was hard to hold a constant speed with the converter working against the motor and the OD gear with the constant slippage between them. I take that back, I had the external part of the lockup installed, but came to find out that the internal portion has/had a ground wire that was run externally. I replaced it all anyway for piece of mind.

Anyway, put in the lockup kit I got from Bowtie Overdrives. It's a brake light switch style and I opted for the extra 3rd gear lockup kit. Now when I'm in 4th gear with the TC locked, it's awesome! I can speed now!

Using 38" (conservatively, more or less) for my tire diameter and a speed of 65 MPH with a 30% OD gear plus 4.56 gears, I'm only turning 1835 RPM!!!!!!!!!

BobM

I'm glad it was an inexpensive fix. Do you check mileages? If so, let us know what kind of difference you get. I had an old '84 'burban with a rebuilt 700r4 that lasted for years and that was with a 6" lift and a teenager!
:D

Bozor1000

TYPE F is mopar trans fluid. Dexron/Mercon is the trans fluid for GM (DEXRON) and FORD(MERCON). They are usually sold as one type for both brands if you buy aftermarket from any parts house other than the dealer. TYPE F is DODGE/CHRYSLER. I have never heard of any guys using that TYPE F out here in their GM's.

Croatan_Kid

Any type of fluid is better than multi-vehicle ATF crap. I like the Type F, it makes it shift firmer. All the bottles of it I have say "meets or exceeds Ford standards"....but it doesn't matter to me, it works great.

tacoma

Type F changes the shift characteristics of GM trannies, but I can't remember if it makes them harder, or softer. Auugh my brain

ehuppert

Type "F" is definitly Ford spec fluid. Will give firmer shifts than dexron due to lack of (or less) friction modifiers.

The B&M Trick shift is basically a enhanced type F.

Common for high performance GM to use the Type F fluid (My 12 sec drag camaro for instance)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks