• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flash Flood

sedone

Hey Guys,
I was wheeling in SE Missouri near a local creek when I broke three of the studs in my lifted steering block, left it until the next morning unfortunately my Beautiful 1008 was not even visible under 20 feet of water. So long story short I got her out with no damage other than mud and being submerged.

I need to rebuild the bench, is it the same size as a 3/4 ton or 1/2 Ton? I was gonna order a seat rehab kit and new vinyl from LMC.

Now the hard part of the rehab, what do you guys suggest?

I thought I would drain every thing, clean what is cleanable by pulling the motor pan, glow plugs, turn it over at the crank, pull tranny pan, drain and refill everything, diffs, transfer case and probably need to clean and regrease the hubs. New filters all around obviously and see to it that there is no water in the tank or lines.

Any pointers, tips, tricks?

Thanks, sedone

Blood_of_Tyrants

Take off EVERY electrical connector you can find and spray it WD-40 or you will never stop having electrical problems. I would advise taking out the instrument cluster and doing the same. It will be a long, time consuming process but totally necessary.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, you have alot of work ahead of you. Good luck with it. I would try to find a truck with an acceptable interior and swap everything in.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Phew, that is sickening. I hate to hear about your misfortune. Your plan sounds like a pretty good start. You definitely want to get the water out as quickly as possible before everything starts to rust up. I'm sure the water was full of silt and sand and that stuff will wreck havoc on your top end, bearings, seals, valve body, etc... Pulling the glow plugs and cranking the engine over should get a good bit of the water out of the top end. I hydro-locked my 6.2L once and that's what I did. It didn't sit underwater all night though. You may have to change your fluids several times before you get all of the water out. You could do your first fill with some cheap parts house motor oil, warm the engine to operating temp and then drain while it's good and hot. Then, put in the good stuff after that. Clean all of your electrical connections with contact cleaner and then apply some dielectric grease to them to prevent corrosion and shorts.

Good luck!!

Croatan_Kid

Then after all of that is done, swap to crossover steering so that doesn't happen again! The broken studs I mean.

Good luck with the rehab, I hate to see something like that happen to such a useful truck!

jwaller

wow. that truck will never be the same. I would start saving your $$$ for a eng, trans, and transfer case rebuild plus a couple diff's too.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A customer brought an engine to us that was on a portable rock station...the kind of machine that takes a scoop of material from somewhere and sorts it by size, from sand to large rocks...that got left in a dry riverbed. We had a freak rainstorm, and the dry riverbed wasn't! The engine was under rushing water for less than 6 hrs. There wasn't anyplace in the engine that didn't have abrasive silt in it. I had to take the complete engine apart, including components..w/p, lube pump, turbo, cylinder head, etc, and clean it out. If he had tried to use it, it would have ate itself up from the inside. I scooped a 1 gallon container full of silt from the oil pan when I took it off. Sorry about your truck, that sucks :(

sedone

Thanks Guys,
Yeah, I'll be sure and post my findings. I have another 6.2L ready to go and so this might force me to do a 203/205 T Case and I'm thinking about a 4L80-E with an independent controller.
Anybody got input?
Thanks, sedone

sedone

Crossover Steering is the first "Mod" in the resurrection list but I guess if I'm forced to get a new T-Case and Tranny those would actually be "mods"
as well. I am just doing the one arm for now and adding a two shock steering stabilizer until I can get the dough for a ram, hoses and the rebuild kit
for the box.
sedone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks