• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat spots on deuce tires

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably common knowledge that the NDCC tires develop flat spot just sitting overnight, especially when it's cold.
Driving off after a night at a truck stop means trying to get up to highway speed right after leaving the parking area. Usually it takes 5 to 10 minutes for the roughness to work itself out, still don't like it much.
During my most recent trip, I also noticed that my front end got into a "shimmy" mode right around 50-55 mph. That too worked itself out after about an hour or so. I assume it's also related to the flat spots on the tires.
My question is, has anyone else experienced this and is it only bias ply tires that will do this? Do radials behave differently?

Towerguy1

In the fire service some of the trucks we had were bias and some were radial. The bias tires were really bad doing this untill they "limber up" some of our trucks had been sitting awhile on cement floors, Kind of bumpy but they come out of it. We had one truck with nylon bias tires, they were really bad. took much longer to limber up! The radials never seemed to have much problem unless it is VERY cold.

rdixiemiller

My radials never have given me the "flat spot bump", down to 25 degrees. That is the coldest I have driven the truck.
Nylon bias ply tires will hop all over the road until they warm up.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree with everyone here. I have had reproduction bias play redline tires on some of my Mopars and they do exactly the same thing. I have NEVER had a radial tire do that, and I agree that the nylons are the worst about it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They also call it the "morning bump", very typical for nylon bias ply tires.
Bjorn, before your “shimmy symptom” gets worse check for loose steering knuckles. There shouldn’t be any play at the kingpins. I had to fix that to totally eradicate front end shimmy, even with those old NDCC 9.00x20s bumping for a while after sitting over night.

Gerhard

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks fore the confirmations!
The shimmy problem goes away when the tires warm up, so I'm pretty sure that's the only reason (flat spots).
Looks like another reason to go radial, my first choice is the GoodYear G177's, second would be Roberts G286's...

OD_Coyote

Bjorn - I have 9.00 X 20 NDCC bias plys on my rig and have experienced the front end shimmy as well. Once the tires smooth out the shimmy problem goes away.

rmgill

Wouldn't the G177 work on the front as that's also a drive axle. Basically, the front doesn't need traction on most road trucks, but the military 4x4s and 6x6s. I've seen the G177s on a NG truck in Kennesaw, Ga. Looked good too. Oh, and I get this bounce bounce bounce thing going down the road in my Ferret. It'll sit for a month, and those run-flat Dunlop Trak Grips take a long time to heat up.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
I've been leaning towards Michelin myself.

Here is the Michelin website that shows 'all tires' for heavy trucks.

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/productguide/newprod/AllTreads.jsp

I personally like the XDY-2 in 11R22.5 - but that's because I'm going to Super Singles using budd wheels that are 22.5's. I'll be using the XDY-1 (which is the retread version of the XDY-2 - WAY CHEAPER) for the rears and the spares (2). ONLY the fronts will be new XDY-2's. The XDY-1 and XDY-2 have 30/32 tread depth.

I am also considering the BFG DR444 with 28/32 tread depth and the Bridgestone's M726EL with 32/32 tread depth as well.

Again, I would purchase these tread designs in retread for rear drive axles/spare tires and then new ones for the front steer wheels. According to DOT, you cannot legally run retreads on the front.

BFG's website:
http://www.bfgoodrichtrucktires.com...uctguide/newprod/TireOverview.jsp?tread=DR444

Bridgestone's website:
http://www.trucktires.com/us_eng/home/index.asp

I know new NDCC's AIN'T CHEAP and neither are these. Even the retreads start at $225 and go up. ONE NEW XDY-2 will cost between $350 and $450 depending on who you know and where you buy them from. But because they are made for commercial trucks, they are expected to see over 100,000 miles. OR MORE.

So I'm hoping to only buy ONE SET for the next fifteen years or so. After that, it will be the next owner's problem. I'll be 78 by then and I doubt I'll still be driving my deuce. BUT you never know.

Last edited:

rizzo

I sell used 11R22.5 casings to my tire guy for about $35. recaping a casing cost about $105. Talk to some truckers and buy their casings cheap the cap them.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rizzo,
Thx. Randy Barnes works for a trucking company and is helping me work with his companies tire suppliers. So hopefully I can get a bit of a discount.

We will see. But thx for heads up. jim

wallew said:
But because they are made for commercial trucks, they are expected to see over 100,000 miles. OR MORE.
Ok I have a question -

What is the service life (in years) of a new tire (such as these) before they start getting weather cracking or become "iffy" on the front axle?

I doubt I will ever put 100,000 on my Deuce so, in theory these tires will go to my grandchildren..............., :?