• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fliuid/Filter questions!

TURKEY131

Very new to the M1009. Wanting to change all of the fluids, Engine oil, transmission, front and rear axles. I also want to change all of the filters as well. Could someone give me a run down of the fluids and filters that you guys are using? Thanks, in advance.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check in the Resources tab. There should be the manuals, and also cross references for filters and the like.

CCATLETT1984

as far as the engine is concerned its a civilian 6.2L blazer.

use rotella 15w40 oil

DOT5 brake fluid unless someone has converted it to dot3 (take some out of truck add a few drops of water and shake like hell in a glass jar, if the water seperates back out after a while its still dot5)

I like purolator oil filters, DO NOT USE FRAM (for air or oil.)
I Use fram fuel filters currently.

AJMBLAZER

WIX/NAPA Gold filters for everything I can get a hold of.

Shell Rotella T 15w40 oil.

Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in the diffs.

Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the trans and after I fix the transfer case's rear seal in there as well.

Now if you're planning on dunking the axles, trans, and transfer case in mud pits or water crossings often just get the cheapest stuff you trust and change it often.

Somemedic

Mobile1 oil filters. I dont remember if it was on this forum but I read about a dude who took all the filters he could get his hands on apart. NAPA stuff, mobile, wix, AZ and advance brands and he said that the filters mobile sells had more filtering media in them. If I cant get Mobile then Wix is #2...

Michael

I prefer ACDelco oil filters when I can get them. This is based on the advise of the best mechanic in the area at the time which was back in the 80's when these trucks were new. His reasoning was that the oiling system was designed for a certain flow rate and "back pressure". Increasing the efficiency of the filtration might actually result is less oil circulated to the parts that need it. Of course that was back when GM cared a little bit about their product. Their filters may be made in china junk by now.

The conversation came up because I was having him replace the oil pump in a low mileage car that I had been using STP double filtration oil filters in.

JAsher45

i run all Amsoil fluids in everything in my M1009. my fuel filter i have replased with the fuelmizer filtration system, and for the oil and air i use napa gold. I also use a FS2500 oil filtration system and yes it was worth every penny. the oil looks as clean as when i put it in and i sample my oil every 3000 miles and it is very clean

maritimer

rottella t 15w40 in the oil pan, napa gold filters, cheapest dif and trans fluids from walmart and heavy duty marine grease in the bearings, kleen flo dot 5 brake fluid *holy heck $16.95 +tax for a tiny little bottle*
i use the cheap fluids in the diff and trans cause i spend alot of time with my wheels underwater and chance/flush regularly *a couple times a month at least*.
and no i dont go swiming for fun most of the time LOL its use das a DD and a work truck so:p lol

jwaller

Re: RE: Fliuid/Filter questions!

84cucv1ton said:
just wondering, but aren't all the filter pretty much the same?? thats what i was told a while back.

maybe the store brand stuff and fram but not your better higher priced ones.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Fliuid/Filter questions!

Do a search for "oil filter tests". You'll come up with some interesting results. Oil filters range from really good (Mobil 1, AC Delco, WIX/NAPA, Motorcraft, etc) to buttwipe in a can (FRAM and most of the no-names).

JAsher45

RE: Re: RE: Fliuid/Filter questions!

when it comes to protection do your homework. not every thing is the same. a few dollars here and there will save you many in the long run to your investment.

maybefixit

I hate to bash, but I've personally cut open a new Fram filter and found plain cardboard, cut in a hexagon, to separate the clean/dirty side of the filter. And I'd been using Fram filters for everything until then.

I use Napa Gold, AC Delco, Bosch in that order. I've found the AC Delco's to be the same cost as Fram but much better made. Had good luck with Purolator filters too.

I will use the Fram air filters - unless I have a K&N in place :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks