• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flu 419 air leak in 4x4

Key V Ranch

Hello any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a flu 419 that has a large air leak on driver side under cab when 4x4 is engaged. The air leak will drop the pressure to 60 quit fast. In 2 wheel the leak does not exist. The air is coming out of 2 plastic line zip ties together. I pulled them out behind the cab so they are visible. I don’t see they should be attached to anything. They were next to the frame rail.

Thanks for any help
Corey Stewart

Attachments

brandan34

When you engauge the 4x4 it puts air in a few places in the drive train to keep water out. Those hoses should have around 5psi i believe. I would guess they should hook into the boot going forward and the boot going back from the tranny to the axles. Just push them back in. To be dropping your main tank air that fast i would think the regulator also needs adjusting/ fixing.

peakbagger

Time to start tracing out the fording system and the air system diagrams.The SEE student handbook in the Misc Tech Manal section has some simplfied air system diagrams. The short version is that air come out of the primary air system near the air tank where its routed preferentially to the brake booster system. If the air pressure is over a minimum threshold, and air regulator tapped off the main line opens and routes air to be used for various systems like remote throttle, air shifter, 4WD shifter and Lockers. Tapped off the 4wd air supply downstream of the 4wd selector valve is the fording purge system via another regulator, it drops the air pressure down to 5 psi and that is routed to portal axles to pressurize them to prevent water from getting in. If these hoses are broken or disconnected than the system will leak air whenever the 4WD is engaged.

A major caveat from my friend the Unimog "pro" is that the fording purge system has a dark side on the SEE and other unimogs like my 1300, if the regulator fails, it most likely fails at full pressure. In this case full pressure air is going to go into the purge system and overpressurizes the portal axles. If this happens, at a minimum the cup of gear oil keeping the portals lubricated blows out of the axle through the rear hub seal and then the portal axle is running dry and will self destruct soon unless refilled. Most likely the rear portal seal will be blown and then it will not hold the gear oil and that means tearing the portal axle(s)_ apart to replace the seals. His advice is unless you plan to be running your SEE underwater, disconnect the fording purge system. I have not done so but if and when the cab gets lifted, it is on my list. I will probably just cut in valve on the line downstream of the regulator.

Key V Ranch

Time to start tracing out the fording system and the air system diagrams.The SEE student handbook in the Misc Tech Manal section has some simplfied air system diagrams. The short version is that air come out of the primary air system near the air tank where its routed preferentially to the brake booster system. If the air pressure is over a minimum threshold, and air regulator tapped off the main line opens and routes air to be used for various systems like remote throttle, air shifter, 4WD shifter and Lockers. Tapped off the 4wd air supply downstream of the 4wd selector valve is the fording purge system via another regulator, it drops the air pressure down to 5 psi and that is routed to portal axles to pressurize them to prevent water from getting in. If these hoses are broken or disconnected than the system will leak air whenever the 4WD is engaged.

A major caveat from my friend the Unimog "pro" is that the fording purge system has a dark side on the SEE and other unimogs like my 1300, if the regulator fails, it most likely fails at full pressure. In this case full pressure air is going to go into the purge system and overpressurizes the portal axles. If this happens, at a minimum the cup of gear oil keeping the portals lubricated blows out of the axle through the rear hub seal and then the portal axle is running dry and will self destruct soon unless refilled. Most likely the rear portal seal will be blown and then it will not hold the gear oil and that means tearing the portal axle(s)_ apart to replace the seals. His advice is unless you plan to be running your SEE underwater, disconnect the fording purge system. I have not done so but if and when the cab gets lifted, it is on my list. I will probably just cut in valve on the line downstream of the regulator.
Thank you both for Responding.

would anyone know a good source for the air system diagrams?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks