• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU 419 common issue? high idle when brought back to life. "Solved"

Copout911

Good Moring all, New (ish) here,

I recently purchased an FLU 419 that has been sitting for years, How Many is undetermined. The first few things I did was do a fluid check and all seemed ok. I then installed fresh charged batteries to start it. After troubleshooting the start button finding a bad relay just located by the fuse clusters. I then got the engine to start with a bump of ether and it seems to bust right off but at very high RPMs and would die if you didn't stay 3/4 to wide open throttle. It did seem underpowered and would fall off not idle down. an interesting observation is that I could rev it up and down between 1600 RPM and 2500 RPM with the foot peddle and sometimes it would return and sometimes not, it would stay at high revs. The linkage to the hand lever and foot peddle have been lubed/checked all the way to the injection pump and is free to move and return. While I do work/play with many types of engines but learn from all and don't know it all. My thought is this engine wouldn't run starving for fuel, but I cleaned/checked the prefilter screen to find nothing of consequence as well as checked/cleaned the two cartridge filters again with nothing notable, i also drained and put new clean diesel in the tank. After priming I get the exact same results. I would love for someone who has experienced this prior to chime in with a fix as it seems this is a common issue as posted by several people but non offered the solution as happens a lot after one's problems are fixed. Please offer and ideas from experiences of your own.

Copout911

An update to my Unimog condition,

So after digging in to trouble shoot my situation, I discovered that the #4 element in the injection pump was stuck in the up position. What this done was caused #4 cylinder a "dead hole", secondary with the element stuck caused the injection pump rack to not be able to close to fuel shut off and caused the pump to continue to fuel with all linkages in the off position. Of course it makes sense now but took some digging into. With that said and now I know what to look for, it isn't an uncommon condition for these units, when bring them back alive. While not really preventable as it was a condition upon me taking possession, I highly suggest checking the condition of all filters and fluids to make sure you give it the best chances possible to work as intended. On to the next issue... Carry on!

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks