FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

peakbagger

Might I suggest starting a new thread so this does not get lost.

IMHO, the government didnt order anything close to this but the platform is pretty versatile. There could be issues with harmonics with the vehicle suspension. My guess is you could hit the front coil spring frequency and it would be jumping like a low rider;). The much rarer HMMH had a front suspension lockout that should help with that issue. That said the specs for the front hydrauilc pump is in the manual. No sure if Bobcat offers such a device but some folks have adapted the front end to use a Bobcat mounting plate so that Bobcat accessories will work on the SEE . My guess is the better option may be ramhoe adapted to the backhoe, Stanley Hydraulics makes a small one.

The other thing to consider is there was an optional ripper backhoe bucket made by Hein Werner for ripping rocks, ice and permafrost. There is US military study on the effectiveness of this option in the Misc Tech Manuals forum. The short summary is the Hein Werner bucket works better but the relative lack of weight on the hoe limits its capacity. Mine came with one of those buckets and it works pretty well for rock. Not very good for neat holes with the ripper claws on the back of the bucket but I have scraped a few trenches with it.

Another Ahab

can I put a breaker hammer on this unit in place of the bucket, and if so, how would I determine which type would fit? Would it be effective? All my searches returned results about the live hydraulic jackhammer that stores in the compartment, but I'm referring to one that goes on the tip of the excavator like what you'd use for digging out a basement in solid rock or something.
So great, a First Post:

- Congratulations, and welcome MajorMogger!

I can't help you with your question, but likely somebody here can.

In my ancient history as a general contractor, I recall that piece of equiment being referred to as a "hoe-ram", but not sure that term is still in use.

MajorMogger

Yes actually a ramhoe is what I was referring to I just didn't know what to call it. I don't think a ripper will work because the rock here in the Texas Hill Country (in my place specifically) is totally solid bedrock, it's not really diggable until you crack it to pieces. It took the guy who dug my septic nearly a week to dig the hole with his tractor and ramhoe. Ok I will look into the bobcat attachment option. So a case ramhoe wouldn't just fit right on w/o any mods would it?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My FLU419 came with the ripper backhoe bucket as well. I also have the ripper teeth on the loader bucket. This isn't a problem because I also have two John Deere tractors with smooth lipped loader buckets. I live on 40 acres in a very mountainous and rocky area. At first I didn't like the ripper bucket on the backhoe. However, I hired someone else to do some work for me with a backhoe and their standard bucket took 2 - 3 times as long to dig in the same area as the ripper backhoe bucket on my FLU. That ripper bucket really goes through the rock and tree roots and stumps. The downside is that a hole or trench is difficult to dig with smooth sides and bottom. If someone is on solid bedrock, a backhoe with or without a ripper bucket is out of luck. I've used the jackhammer that came with my FLU for some solid rock and it works, but drilling holes followed by dynamite is a better option! That jackhammer is made for someone bigger than me.

peakbagger

I was thinking of making a mount for the SEE jackhammer and hanging it from the backhoe bucket.

Good to know there are at least two SEEs out there with the optional ripper bucket. Its solid piece of iron.

Speedwoble

There was someone on here that got the mount to place an auger on the backhoe in place of the bucket. They bought the adapter for a CASE 580, then rented a skid steer auger. Unbolted from the skid steer mount, bolted to the adapter for use, then returned when done. Potentially the same could be done with a ramhoe.
Many FLU’s have hydraulic quick connections on the bucket cylinder so it can be disconnected and the Auger attached and powered by that circuit. That same circuit could run the ramhoe.
If I had a lot of rock to break, I might use the backhoe as a crane with a lot of bungee rope to take a little of the weight off the handheld jackhammer. And convert an appliance dolly to move it. It makes quick work of concrete, but is a bear to drag around.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for those who have either tilted the cab, or pulled the plate between the seats.
Curious where the cable from the master switch ends up. As in where it's grounded to whatever it leads to.

My reason for wanting to know is that I'd like to hook up the negative for a winch I installed at that point. Can't run it through the switch (nowhere near enough amp rating).

It'll be interesting either way as I suspect that the winch will provide ground for the whole system, regardless of what position the switch is in, if I connect the ground cable to the battery.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hi, new to the forum and soon to be new to my FLU419 I am purchasing. The FLU419 is supposed to be shipped here in late October. I searched the forum the best I could and couldn't find an answer to my question though - can I put a breaker hammer on this unit in place of the bucket, and if so, how would I determine which type would fit? Would it be effective? All my searches returned results about the live hydraulic jackhammer that stores in the compartment, but I'm referring to one that goes on the tip of the excavator like what you'd use for digging out a basement in solid rock or something.
. Good question but not sure who would have a good answer. They were equipped with a plethora of hydraulic powered, hand held equipment. My concern about a dipper mounted hammer would be metal fatigue/vibration damage .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks