• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluid on rotors

TLangM998

Newbie here! Just wanted to get your guys' take on this before I started taking things apart. Removed my front passenger side half shaft to replace a torn boot, and discovered this... Any ideas on what to look at first?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be GO90 from the diff or BFS from the caliper. Mostly looks like GO90 that oozed past the flange splines and was trapped by the halfshaft, and ran down when you pulled it.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the Star like seal behind the nut of the stub shaft.

Last edited:

papakb

Just give it a good sniff. If it smells like sulfur it's gear oil. Silicon brake fluid has almost no smell at all.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s gear oil, remove the nut on the flange and remove the old star rubber seal and install a new one, this is a common issue. Before the star seal, they used multiple o-rings and they were prone to failure and seapage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks