• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flywheel questions

jimtbob

Sorry for the length of this - I have a CUCV that was converted to SM465/NP205. Cool. Love a manual. Basically need to know what flywheel I should use.

Looking at parts places the 6.2 gets one flywheel, the 6.5 gets another one (not the DMF). Just using LUKS numbers the 6.5 gets LFW126 and the 6.2 gets the LFW201.

The back story is I went to replace the starter, bought a new one and turned the one I had in for a core. The housing of the new starter wouldn't clear the flywheel installed on the vehicle. Not only that, the bell housing doesn't have enough clearance to fit either direct drive or gear reduction starters. Along the way I found the previous owner put the wrong bolt in the starter and hosed the threads in the block. No problem, I have a 6.5 GEP out of a Hummer sitting here wanting to be installed in my CUCV.
I can clearance the bellhousing to fit the starters... but what flywheel should I be ordering for the 6.5 GEP in the CUCV? Will it clear a stock starter?

Thanks!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both those flywheels are identical in diameter, as well as shape and number of teeth (139), so both work the same for a stock starter.

The difference is the diameter of the recess in the center: the 6.5 FW measures ~8.5", vs. ~6.5" on the 6.2 FW . Reason for it is, the 6.5 clutch disc takes a second row of coil springs, so it needs more space there.
The other (big) difference is their price, being that the 6.2 FW cost almost twice as much (!) Guess that's due to supply and demand...

Because of the much lower cost I only buy and install the 6.5L FW (part# 50-2709) while keeping the original clutch., in most cases.
Done it many times already and I can confirm that it works perfectly well behind a stock 6.2L

In your case I would probably buy the whole combo for a 6.5L; that is FW, PP, disc and throw-out bearing.

jimtbob

I appreciate the fast, knowledgeable answer. 6.5 flywheel it is. Have you ever seen issues mounting the starter? The housing interferes with the back of the flywheel so I can't get the starter lined up to mount it. No idea what the previous owner has in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks