• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fmtv 3116 info

snowtrac nome

I talked with my local cat guy today about the over the road 3116 engines. A word of caution he gave me was trash the fuel filter with the rubber plunger on it. He suggested a Racor 6 micron filter,or a cat filter off a c-7 with after treatment. the most problems with the 3116 engines is air in the fuel system which left untouched will cause a host of other problems. The valves only need adjustment once every 80,000 miles but injector replacement will pay like 24 hours. Our engines are what are called high horse power and they can be turned up 20 percent. The duce guys are screwed the sub 215hp engines have less rings and can only be cranked up 10 percent which will equate to minimal gains.

snowtrac nome

Your correct the shop will bill you 24 hours at their hourly rate. Its a pretty intense job to set up the rack on one of these engines, on the plus side they are pretty maintenance free if you maintain the fuel system

snowtrac nome

As a diesel mechanic in a remote site, I plan on getting the tool kit to do it my self.There's a few other engines like it around here it will eventually pay for its self.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cat recently closed their service department in Reno, NV (Cashman Equipment).

I am still looking for a mechanic who knows how to 'power up' my 3116..

Pointman

scottmandu

Cat recently closed their service department in Reno, NV (Cashman Equipment).
I am still looking for a mechanic who knows how to 'power up' my 3116..
Pointman
There are a couple ways.. One is to install injectors with large nozzle orifices and inject more fuel per stroke, or adjust the rack travel, or both.

However the turbo is rather small for the horsepower level, so unless you are prudent with EGT's any fueling upgrades will need a turbo upgrade. The 3116 is especially sensitive to high EGT's, they like to drop exhaust valves in the higher horsepower engines.

scottmandu

Messing with the fuel screw, requires egt gauge. Strykers had a 350hp version of this engine as well.

The Stryker used a C7

The highest factory horsepower on the 3116 was 375hp on marine versions.
The 3126 was 425 for the marine version and I believe the C7 was 475 on marine versions.

snowtrac nome

in a stock engine an egt would be a non issue if every thing is working right, however it combined with a boost gauge is a great tool if you are having drivability problems.

Reworked LMTV

I talked with my local cat guy today about the over the road 3116 engines. A word of caution he gave me was trash the fuel filter with the rubber plunger on it. He suggested a Racor 6 micron filter,or a cat filter off a c-7 with after treatment. the most problems with the 3116 engines is air in the fuel system which left untouched will cause a host of other problems. The valves only need adjustment once every 80,000 miles but injector replacement will pay like 24 hours. Our engines are what are called high horse power and they can be turned up 20 percent. The duce guys are screwed the sub 215hp engines have less rings and can only be cranked up 10 percent which will equate to minimal gains.
Where did you find a Racor 6 micron?

scottmandu

Those guage kits use OBDII which I'm not certain if these trucks are fully OBDII protocol compliant.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

on the 3116 there is no electronic hook up, as you have 2 electronic controllers, one for the transmission, and one for the anti skid braking. I'm not too familiar with the 3126 but, the c-7 have a j 1939 buss you can plug in , to run gauges I would imagine that one could plug into the obd plug on the 3126 to pull gauge data too as it is also a j 1939 protocol
the electronic gauges one would run would be in something like a murphy controller or behind the dash of one of the modern trucks like the freight liners and there is just a small little control module that supplies outputs to selected gauges. your not going to acesss a commercial engine with your edge juice you will need a prolink or cat et to look at the engine electronicly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks