• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV brake canister diaphragm replacement.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few questions posted about replacement canisters - which are a bit difficult to find and expensive on the surplus side. I recently replaced the diaphragm's in all of mine and other than dealing with the paint on the clamp bolt threads it's an extremely easy process. On my 2008 A1R the front brake cans use a "Type 16" diaphragm, and the four rear cans all use a "Type 12" diaphragm. The diaphragms were about $6 each for the rear, and about $8 each for the front. The whole job took about an hour.

The process is very easy - DON'T TOUCH THE OUTER CLAMPS on the rear cans. That's the parking brake spring and IT CAN KILL YOU.

The front is easy - take the clamp off, remove the diaphragm, replace with a new one, and reinstall the cap and the clamp.

On the rear - you have a choice to make. On a flat level surface you can chock the wheels and release the parking brake with air, then take the INNER (CLOSEST TO THE WHEEL) clamp off, replace the diaphragm, and reinstall. Or if you aren't on a real level surface or want to be extra safe you can cage both of the canisters on one side while the other side parking brake remains engaged.

5 of mine (LMTV) were not that bad, but one of my rear diaphragm's was not looking excellent:

PXL_20231204_052207630.jpg

PXL_20231204_052045832.jpg

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got into the TM and cross-referenced the NSN's over to the Meritor part numbers and took those to a local brake shop - turns out the Meritor part numbers for the front end in "-16" and the rear "-12" which the guy immediately recognized as type 12 and type 16. Type 12 is a 5.5" diaphragm with a 1.75" travel, and type 16 is a 6" diaphragm with 1.75" travel. They are standard and stocked at every air brake and heavy duty shop. Haldex part numbers DP12 and DP16.

You can just pull one out and measure it with a tape measure if you aren't sure. Like I said it's REALLY easy. Barring rust of course.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I'll likely do the parking brake diaphragms at some point also. If you have a failure on one of those it's easy enough to cage it, plug the air line and drive on with three. Losing the service brake diaphragms however can be a real significant problem for "getting home" - uneven brake application with a wheel disabled can cause brake steer...... I got an extra of each diaphragm to keep in the emergency parts box for the road. Probably the cheapest part I've found yet on these trucks that wasn't an off-the-shelf fastener or a Shrader core or something.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you identify which one was giving you problems before you took it apart?
Wasn't experiencing problems. This was an effort to avoid future problems. Rubber deteriorates, can't see the condition without opening them up and being 15 years old...... the price doesn't justify inspection even. Mileage is meaningless on a truck that sat in the desert all it's life so they just needed to be changed in my opinion. And it would appear that at least in the case of that one pictured it was a decent investment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks