• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Engine Oil Change Helpful Suggestions

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks aren't the easiest to change the oil on, so I thought I would give some pointers, as I know a lot of you plan to do this oil change before recovering a FMTV to your AO.

First issue is the oil filter. It is nestled high on the engine and difficult to get to. Most likely it is not hand tight. You will need a strap wrench or chain wrench to get it turning. Even then you can only move the wrench a little bit back and forth.

Next issue is pouring the oil into the fill port high up behind the cab. A funnel is almost a must, especially if you are filling the engine from a 5 gallon bucket. A stepstool is highly advised if you are using a bucket.

A 5 gallon bucket will conveniently fit under the engine drain plug, just remember that there are 6 gallons of oil, so you will need a second bucket.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use CAT brand filters on CAT motors and i throw a gallon of LUCAS in the main engine on oil change and i just use Rotella 15/40 reg oil . Also i use red sticky mystic grease in all my fittings .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks