• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV/LMTV Importation to other countries (TIP)

High Water

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know of an LMTV owner that has successfully completed a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit) for an LMTV to countries outside of the USA? If so, could you connect me with them?

Due to the shorter VIN numbers on these trucks, I think it might be an issue due to the international standard VIN having 17 digits. Not to mention these trucks have "Property of US Government" stamped all over them. The later being less of a concern as these ID tags can be removed but the VIN cannot be changed...legally anyway. Thanks for any input.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you can get the VIN changed if it's that important to you (ease of travel being a concern). Most states will do an assigned VIN for such things as home built trailers, kit cars, "assembled" vehicles such as street rods, etc. You could probably talk to whoever handles those for CO and explain the situation and asked for an assigned VIN. I have no idea of the cost but peace of mind can be priceless.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an M1081A1 on Gov planet and imported this to the Netherlands. Didn't have any problems. To export outside the US you just need an export permit. Importing into Europe was no problem.

jcdostie

I just imported a M923 to Canada and I had the issue of short VIN (in Quebec). The local licence office contacted the central bureau and they entered the VIN with 13 digits in the system. It took them 48 hours.
I had the same issue 8 years agos with another military vehicle (Bombardier Iltis)

JC

scottmandu

I believe you can get the VIN changed if it's that important to you (ease of travel being a concern). Most states will do an assigned VIN for such things as home built trailers, kit cars, "assembled" vehicles such as street rods, etc. You could probably talk to whoever handles those for CO and explain the situation and asked for an assigned VIN. I have no idea of the cost but peace of mind can be priceless.
49 CFR Part 565 states that only the manufacturer can assign a VIN. Also another thing to consider, while trying to import my trucks from Asia, the NHTSA stated that they were not importable due to not meeting safety regs. I countered stating that federal code doesn't require these trucks to meet safety because they were manufactured under a military contract. We went round and round.. I finally got them imported. Just an FYI as the rules are always changing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks