• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Repairs and upgrades

agazza2

I replaced mine with a used one from a local truck salvage yard. It wasn’t hard but it did take some time as I pulled the camshaft to pull the housing. It’s possible to pull the cam gear and avoid having to pull the cam, since the gear is pressed on you would have to preheat the gear to reassemble.
Well if the welding does not work, then I will have to go this route. Sounds like the truck will have to be down a few days to remove the timing cover, cam, to get this done. Thank you for your response. This is the only major item to repair on my truck.

agazza2

I replaced mine with a used one from a local truck salvage yard. It wasn’t hard but it did take some time as I pulled the camshaft to pull the housing. It’s possible to pull the cam gear and avoid having to pull the cam, since the gear is pressed on you would have to preheat the gear to reassemble.
Smike740 - I will be installing a used cover as well. I disassembled the front cover, and when I was removing the air pump bolts noticed that the housing is also cracked on the bottom. Only the bracket at the back of the power steering pump was holding the timing housing together enough. I was going to go with a new cover, but $900 is to much. A reconditioned used one is $200 +S/H.

I will make an adapter to use in the lift hook housing, so I can mount my crane and lift out the 160lb radiator and inter-cooler. The rest of removing the cam seems straight forward, just time consuming. Looks like the CAT dealer will still get some of my money for all the gaskets.

agazza2

Are you going to be able to get it all back together before Expo?
Mark, I may make it if all goes well. Otherwise I will plan on just driving up for day on Friday and stay overnight. Since the radiator and inter-cooler come out as a unit (160lbs) I am going to fabricate a bracket the will go into my drivers side airlift assembly to use the crane I built for the back of the M1078. That way I am hoping to lift the radiator assembly up and into the back of my truck. I am thinking that maybe I should use this opportunity while the truck is down to order the lower AC compressor bracket and install it at this time, along with the pulley, so I do not have to pull this apart again. If I do that, I do not think I will have all the parts in time to make the Overland expo.

Since the inter-cooler tubes are off I ordered heat wrap to put on the inter-cooler tubes. Trying to figure what else I should use this time to do enhancements or repairs.

agazza2

M1078 Cab hinge - incorrect install

Once I fabricate a bracket to use my crane off of the airlift supports, I need to fix another issue that was discovered during PM. This should have been caught by the Military before anyone became injured by a cab that went to far forward. If I can safely support the cab with my crane, I will be correcting the issue with the cab hinge. Just have to look how this assembly comes apart. The question is how someone assembles this and does not notice they did not do it right?

Attachments

BuiltMFG

agazza2, thanks for all your intel and photos, really helpful. For the upgraded door handles, does it require you to cut the doors or did you already have similar handles to begin with?

agazza2

agazza2, thanks for all your intel and photos, really helpful. For the upgraded door handles, does it require you to cut the doors or did you already have similar handles to begin with?
I had the original small door handles. I ended up cutting out the metal and installing the larger handles. It is a very straight forward process with the template and instructions supplied from FMTVtrucks. The kit comes with all the new rods, and gaskets. If you break one of the original plastic clips for the rods, ACE hardware carries a them in their hardware section.

agazza2

Radiator/Inter-cooler lift assembly

I started last week on getting the truck ready to change the broken timing cover. In order to do that the camshaft needs to be removed. This requires that the radiator/inter-cooler to be removed to allow you enough space to remove the camshaft. Since I do not have access to a A-frame or overhead crane I had to improvise. I ended up making a mount that attaches to the front air lift sleeve. The crane I built a year ago for the back of the FMTV bed will now come in handy. Here is a photo of the crane mounted in the new fabricated bracket. I do need to extend the top part of the crane with an additional tube for 2' longer reach. I will then pick the radiator/Inter-cooler up and place it in the bed of my truck. Once this repair is completed, I will remove the fabricated bracket and add end caps to the 2 x 4 square tube used to fabricate this assembly.

Since I installed the camper body on the back of the truck, the crane has just been sitting in the garage until I can find a new place to mount it. I am thinking about making a similar bracket that would come off the back of the truck, to allow me to permanently mount it there. Never know when you will need to lift something.

Attachments

agazza2

Radiator/Inter-cooler lift assembly & Broken timing cover

Here a few photos of the crane in use pulling out the radiator. Had to switch out the ends for a longer reach than shorter to clear the cab on this passengers side of the cab. And the reason for this whole project......the cracked timing cover. Only the air pump bolted to the front cover was holding this part on.

I made good progress this weekend and just waiting on the front timing cover seal to come in and finish the front pulleys, radiator, ect. Thinking about doing the lower AC bracket at this time since it is still apart.

Attachments

agazza2

Is this same location where the other timing covers discovered in here have cracked as well?

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=728216&d=1526297442
Yes, it usually cracks on the top portion, and then eventually cracks on the bottom. If you look closely at some of the auction pics, you will see the top area where the paint has come off, and if you enlarge the photos, you can usually see a hairline crack. The front axle usually is wet from this leak. Here is a photo of when I bought it. On the curve where the JB weld is located is where they normally start cracking due to loose compressor mounting bolts.

Attachments

Last edited:

agazza2

When you come over you can take a look at mine . You the "MAN".
Sure, if I ever get a chance to come over. Are you still going to the Overland Expo? I will drive up on Saturday for the day. On Sunday I will try and finish assembling my truck. I am going to put the ac brackets on while it is apart.

agazza2

I’m currently in St John, AZ on the way to Overland West. Make sure you let me know when you get there.
Mark, I will be driving up early Saturday morning. Plan on being there around 7:30 am. I am waiting on parts for the truck. So I am just driving my car up there for the day.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bunch of cool LMTVs here. Adventure Driven has his M1079 here and right next to it is Hunter RMV that has a couple of M1078s with habitats built on them. My wife saw another M1079 in the parking lot but I missed that one. Just call or shoot me a text when you’re available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks