• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Snow and Ice performance?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has Michelins. I have nothing else to compare them too.
The GoodYears have a much wider and flatter footprint than the Michelins. I don't have any experience on snow or ice with them but they're a much smoother ride on pavement. I switched for that reason and also to have better gripping on wet roads. In mud they're probably worse than the Michelins as they would tend to pack more mud in between the treads, and might do the same with snow, but would have more surface against the ground in icy conditions.

Hooks Tires1.jpgIMG_4136.jpg

Attachments

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the Michelin xzl's they are the middle ground between the tire types. Michelin says xml are for sand, mud and loose ground. Xzl's are their all terrain for tactical vehicles and longer lasting. I should find out this winter how they do. In reality when conditions get bad, slowing down and chains will be used. Lmtv/mtv are no Subaru. High center of gravity, weight, fat tire contact surface, and inertia are not factors that make for a good snow runner. Lockers , awd, and all the bells and whistles that can make you go in the snow, do nothing for breaking. Snow tires are generally narrower to have higher ground pressure to push snow out of the way. If this is going to be a daily driver then stud the tires, especially in hill country. Going down hill in ice and snow covered roads in a heavy vehicle is no fun. And when you slide off the road these vehicles are a lot more likely to tip than a car is. Growing up in VT I've dug out of more then one snow bank, and glad that I live now where I don't have to deal with the snow as much, but I can drive to it year round.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove around in wet snow today. No issues. The slush my jeep would stay on top of and slide on, the Lmtv just pushed out of the way. Both the mich and Goodyear tires shed the snow well.

ramdough

Anyone have a source for tire chains? All my local tire shop could do was point me to Skidder chains at $750 each
I found some on the internet. I did not buy any yet, so I am not sure of the quality. I think they were high on a google search. I don't have the link anymore, but they were around $100 per tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I found some on the internet. I did not buy any yet, so I am not sure of the quality. I think they were high on a google search. I don't have the link anymore, but they were around $100 per tire.

hSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
check shipping cost!!!!!! That will quickly multiply the cost.