• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Follow on to Parade Winners...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parade winners thread got me wondering.

Those of you who do Parades, car shows, and MV shows, do you prefer the "Just rolled off the production line/showroom new" look or "On the battlefield" look? Me, I like the battlefield look with gear and equipment that would be used in conjunction with the truck. Others prefer the "production line" look, with only the stuff it came from the factory with.
The extra gear gives it more stuff to look at and ask about.. I kinda like it when vets and current military guys come up and say, "dam, all you need to add is ammo, and you could take this to battle"

Your thoughts?

rmgill

I prefer a vehicle that looks like you went back in time snatched one off the battlefield at a camp and brought it back.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's funny, this is a debate that goes on in the car hobby as well.

If you look at a lot of restored Mopar musclecars, they are much nicer than the day they left the factory. Factory built cars are full of problems, like ornage peel, runs, etc.

I personally like my military vehicles a little nicer than "battle condition", but I do like all the accessories that would typically be added in field conditions.

An example is this guy's truck, I think it's about perfect. Exactly how I want one:

http://www.57deuce.com/

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all for the motorpool restoration. I try to stabilize my trucks, clean em up and get them to where they look like they're working again, then I drive the crap out of them. I watch how much I spend on doing a truck. You can easily get carried away and put twice into a truck over what you can sell it for. I'm trying to keep that balance.

Wick246

I'm not too into the military look as far as stars and gun mounts (for my truck anyway). I prefer to think of it as more of a mountain rescue setup. I really like the plain dark green / olive trucks with little or no markings. Check out Brad900's truck as an example. His does have an insignia on the door (which I do like) but overall that is the look I want for mine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wick, get yerself a can of 34052 from a Gillespie dealer. Just get one spray can to play with. Once you see that color, you'll be hooked. Its green, its dark and its flat! If it's too flat get 24052 which is the same color only semigloss! Both are cool colors. One or the other will be on my wrecker along with the same emblems Brad900 has on his ride, thats right folks, the wrecker is going to be a Seabees wrecker!

M35guy

I prefer the off the battlefield look. I mean its not a porsche, its a deuce, and its supposed to look like its had a hard life, I wouldnt want one that looks all shiny and new like an F350 fresh off the lot.

Low-Tech-Redneck

We split the difference with ours to try and please everyone, it's clean, no no rust, no leaky oil or grease steaks, and fresh non-gloss army paint, but it also has quite a few 'artifacts' with it to try and make it look more period and just get conversation rolling, like the pioneer rack and tools, spare gerry cans, ammo boxes, rifle holders, maintenence & operator manuals, etc.

And we never obsessed over getting "too perfect" the stencils have some overspray, there were a few dents we couldn't get rid of, but like someone said above, they probably never looked all that clean and flattering comming off the line.

Brad900

This is how my truck came from the Navy & has not ever been restored. As far as I can tell this is the factory paint, no layers under it but the primer & no overspray. The pic of the seabees shows that it was not painted perfect, a run in the paint & a little blurry. I say build your truck the way that you want it, just don't Armor All the tires!!! :beer:

Attachments

Wick246

That's a great looking truck Brad. It never even dawned on me that it was a seabee truck. Somewhere I have a picture of it with your trailer and the canvas on both.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick Larsen has the Seabee stencils. He provided a set for me. Can't wait to get the wrecker painted and running too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks