• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford in WW2

Another Ahab

Interesting to check out, as the Liberator is the ship starring in the new film coming out of Karen Hillenbrand's book about Louis Zamperini, "Unbroken".

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I actually watched the entire video. One every 55 minutes is incredible. Over 1 million parts. Amazing!

amgeneral72

Since were talking about Ford in WW2 has anyone else heard about the Germans using a great deal of Ford vehicles. I was told once that when the war started that the Germans took over a Ford factory and just kept making trucks to use for the military until the factory was bombed.

Another Ahab

In that age old NASCAR contest of 'Ford versus Chevy', I guess you'd have to say that Ford won this round.

Don't know that Chevy played a part. But you got to figure they must have somehow.

Or wanted to: lot of hay to be made in wartime contracting (one of the oldest games in the world).

Anybody know; did Chevrolet have a role?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In that age old NASCAR contest of 'Ford versus Chevy', I guess you'd have to say that Ford won this round.

Don't know that Chevy played a part. But you got to figure they must have somehow.

Or wanted to: lot of hay to be made in wartime contracting (one of the oldest games in the world).

Anybody know; did Chevrolet have a role?
Saginaw Steering Gear plant 2 (owned by GM) was converted to a gun plant for the war effort.

gerrykan

Since were talking about Ford in WW2 has anyone else heard about the Germans using a great deal of Ford vehicles. I was told once that when the war started that the Germans took over a Ford factory and just kept making trucks to use for the military until the factory was bombed.
I do not know if it is fact or fiction, but I recall reading somewhere that Henry Ford had enough clout to keep the factory from being destroyed.
He was the quintessential businessman.

Another Ahab

I do not know if it is fact or fiction, but I recall reading somewhere that Henry Ford had enough clout to keep the factory from being destroyed.
He was the quintessential businessman.
Interesting story, but wonder if there's a disconnect:

- Are we saying that Mr. Ford was looking beyond the war, to re-use of his factory later? That it?

gerrykan

The faster you get back into operation, the faster you start making money.

Henry tried to own every part that went into manufacturing a Ford to maximize profits, and probably more prominently, to have total control.
After his first venture in automobile production with partners that did not share his vision, he never wanted to be constrained by others.

Another Ahab

The faster you get back into operation, the faster you start making money.

Henry tried to own every part that went into manufacturing a Ford to maximize profits, and probably more prominently, to have total control.
After his first venture in automobile production with partners that did not share his vision, he never wanted to be constrained by others.
A man worth studying some for sure:

- True or not can't say, but read somewhere once that he testified before Congress that if granted a national monopoly on the auto repair business, that he would give (at no cost) one of his Model A's to anyone in the country that wanted to own it.

- He knew where the money was (can you say "repair$"?).

Sounds SO outrageous, that it just might be true.

Another Ahab

Thanks for posting that, watching it reminds one of how great industry in this country used to be during a true war effort!
You are right. It is amazing, and impressive.

Talk about "Make it Happen", the war effort of WWII by the U.S. is a text-book definition of that expression.

Like Yamamto said (was it Yamamoto?); "I'm afraid we have awakened a sleeping giant". That guy was on the ball.

And appropriate that we should note that on this date.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks