• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Four Door Toy Hauler.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea, but still looks the weight is very much backward (I also read the thread about this). Maybe a trick like farm tractors here do or used to do: put some weight on the bumper?

I like the sleeper - double cabin trick. Seeing this, maybe a next project would be convert a normal cargo bed (M52 or M812) to tractor. The longer wheelbase probably would give enough space to add the extended cab and still have the fifth wheel between the axles. Anybody ever did that?

4x4e350

make sure you show us how you set up the trailer brakes. I have a civy flatbed that i would like to be able to use behind my 5ton, and still have brakes.
Will do. I recieved my Tekonsha P3 this week, so I will be installing it soon. I had a crew cab pickup recovery yesterday, so I took today off work too, to finish up on the camper, and hoefully spray some paint.

Great idea, but still looks the weight is very much backward (I also read the thread about this). Maybe a trick like farm tractors here do or used to do: put some weight on the bumper?

I like the sleeper - double cabin trick. Seeing this, maybe a next project would be convert a normal cargo bed (M52 or M812) to tractor. The longer wheelbase probably would give enough space to add the extended cab and still have the fifth wheel between the axles. Anybody ever did that?
I think it should be fine with the weight, I moved the axles back about 6", then with the added framing, water, and gear, it should be OK. But I will see once I get it on the road. I'd hate to add unusable weight, so maybe extra water capacity if need be.
The long wheel base is what I tried to avoid, heck this truck is long enough to manuever around. But I like your idea.

4x4e350

Bump. Did you have any luck with wiring the brake controller?
No, I never got around to it. I ended up winterizing stuff, and getting ready for winter before I could finish the wiring. Plus I started another project, turning a old C60 I had, into a crew cab pickup, and it would fit in the garage, out of the weather:-D.
I am going to add a universal 12v brake switch on the brake pedal, which will be controlled off the inverter already in the 5 ton, and feed into the P3 controller, this will be routed to the brakes on the trailer. The inverter I have is 30 amp, so that should be plenty to power the 5er brakes. I have already added LED brake lights on the 5er, which will run off both 12 and 24 volt, and will probably just replace the marker bulbs depending on what I'm towing the 5er with.
I figured this would be the simplest way to do it, with out adding a bunch of relays, which I really didn't want to do.

Gunner0311

Love those large cabs!

Great looking truck. I love large cab conversions.

Man, now I truly have to save up the money to build a polebarn big enough to
get my trucks out of the weather and work on these types of projects. :driver:

4x4e350

Missile tubes.

Finally have had time to drive the truck some, and work out all the bugs. It pulls my 5er real well, and I have a generator trailer behind it, so it's also self contained any where I go. Now I just need to get the wind generator done and mounted to the trailer. Plus I was able to find some Javelin transport tubes, they work great for humidity free storage.:-D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks