• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

frame identification number

flatheadvff

I know it has been covered before, but I have spent hours looking for it. Does any
one have pictures of where the fame number is on a m135/211. I made the mistake of trying to get tags, when my insurance had the wrong number(namely the ord. contact number). Someone had a truck titled under that number which is like a part number for the truck and there is probably a couple thousand with the same number. My truck had been titled before and it is a short number. I'm pretty sure it is the frame number, but I can't find it to verify. When I called for insurance I didn't have the title with me and the ord. # was all I could find. Now they tell me I have to have the truck inspected and the closest inspection station is 100 miles away. I would like to find the number before I travel to speed the process on arrival. I have three of these trucks and all have the same ord. #, but try explaining that to the dmv. I will say they were trying their hardest to help me and fiqure out what I needed, and it was al cordial, but it does get frustrating when all the problem is because of a small mistake. If I'd had the same number on my insurance as my title I would have title and registration at this point.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics but the number is usually buried in paint and will show up with some grease from your elbow.

Behind the front passenger tire is a large flat piece of frame that was used to stamp the numbers. Could be centered on the frame,. in line with the front/ center of the tire.

Once you find it, USMC-008 put a G749 family of trucks thread together so you can see where your rig fits in. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134364-G749-VIN-amp-Military-Registration-Database

I had to take coffee and donuts to my registration office so the difficult job of registering antiques was made easier for them, good luck with it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed with M1010plowboy, look in the area of the knee action shock on the pass side. This number will also be on your data plate in the cab, but sounds like you don't have that available. Sometimes in Texas, these trucks are VIN'd with the motor number, that of course would start with 302 . . . Try to get your tax office to accept the "VIN self certification affidavit" VTR-272, might save you a trip.

USMC 00-08

Yep. On the frame behind this wheel. Probably a bit further forward than the axle.
100_1971.jpg

Take a wire wheel to the frame and you'll find it. If it is an M135, it should say something similar to M135/1234. The numbers after the M135, M211, etc. will be your VIN.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Identification numbers

Grabbed a few photos so we can see the numbers.

I tried to find the 'red circle' that Another Ahab uses for illustrations but found a white paint pen instead.

PC070102.jpgPC070103.jpg

The number on the frame will match the data plate.

PC070110.jpg

Once sandblasted and painted, they show up better. The Prefix for the M135 is 1135 and is followed by 5 digits. My M211 is 1211XXXXX......and so on.

PC070119.jpg

In the 1950s, the Canadian Army started using the Canadian Army Registration Number (CAR) e.g. 52-30934.

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/history_of_you_vehicle.htm

On Canadian trucks the CAR # often shows up on the top of the drivers side frame rail, in front of the fender.

PC070104.jpg PC070105.jpg PC070106.jpg

That number would be stenciled on the glove box and the door.

PC070107.jpg

flatheadvff

Have typed this reply four times and it keeps telling me to refresh page and sign in, so I finally rebooted my computer to start all over, so maybe try five will work(mean while I answered some of my own questions), so here goes... Excellent, great help! Now my problem is the numbers don't match my title. I have three of these trucks, only one runs, and only two came with titles. The runner has frame and data plate numbers that match, the second titled has a blank data plate, the parts truck has matching frame and data plate. both titles have a number that doesn't match the frame. The ladies at the DMV told me it may be a motor number as that is how they titled some trucks back in the day. (Here's where I answered my own question) I couldn't find the motor number on the runner, so was trying to ask where it was, because of previously stated computer problems, while taking a "keep from destroying computer break" I had time and found the motor number on the second titled truck. Said number matched the title, Whoo hoo. I found the number on a rebuild data plate on the drivers side of the engine block. This plate is just riveted on and is missing on the truck which I'm trying to transfer and tag. So new question, is the motor serial number stamped into the engine block somewhere? (I'm on try six at this point) Now I may answer another of my own questions...I remember reading in the tm manual found in the glove box of one truck that the bell housing serial number and block serial number must match when replacing motor or trans., but was looking for something easier to see. Also have a number related question for curiosity only. My frame numbers are XM211 4179/ 19856/ 32306. Do these represent the number of trucks built at these points?

flatheadvff

By the way, the way I finally was able to post is to check "remember me" when signing in. I had learned that from someone's post before but have been busy and not been on site in a while. I also wanted to thank plowboy, NDT, and USMC00-08, for the great help. I would have posted pictures of the engine data plate, but as you can tell from my post I'm more mechanic then computer guru and it would probably take me hours to figure out how.

USMC 00-08

My frame numbers are XM211 4179/ 19856/ 32306. Do these represent the number of trucks built at these points?
4179 would be your VIN. I am curious what the other numbers mean too. I found these numbers stamped on the top of the bumpers of my parts trucks. The numbers beginning in 411 are the military hood registration numbers, but I have no idea what the others are.
0829151556.jpg0829151607.jpg0829151559.jpg

I don't like the idea of having a vehicle registered with the engine number as the VIN. If you ever change your engine out, you are right back in the same boat again.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VIN Number

We might need to dig up David Doyle's book but as I understand it the next truck out the manufacturers door, got the next number. What I don't know is whether they started at 121100001 or not so let's find out. NDT?

Final production numbers between the two countries is also a number that would be fun to know. By 'your' vin # there were over 32000 M211's out there but lets address the facts.......anyone?

In Alberta.....I used our full frame VIN # for an easy registration, so in your case it's 1211XXXXX.

I found the block ID # info in TM 9-8025- 1

PC080153.jpgPC080155.jpg

This is one valuable link that leads you to all the books. I've read them so I won't tell you how they end.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM135-211sTMdownloadpage.htm

flatheadvff

Again, Excellent, Great help. My TM is TM9-8024, so I believe that would be an earlier edition. I have the exact same illustration on the bell housing numbers, but have looked through the whole book and didn't find the illustration on the engine number plate or the stamp by the dist.. I had just gotten home from work when I saw your post plowboy, I couldn't wait to see so went out to look. Of course it was covered with gunk, climbed back off the truck went back in house to get jacket (contrary to popular belief it does get cold in Texas). Went back out with flashlight crawled up on truck, crawled back down chased dog to retrieve rag stolen out of pocket. crawled back up on truck and tried to wipe off gunk, gunk to hard(thought to self,it's been on there for years dummy of course it's dried hard). Climbed back off truck to get penetrating oil and screwdriver to push rag with. Tight area couldn't reach with hand, thus need for screwdriver. Climbed back up on truck and cleaned of flat area, there was my engine number witch matched my title. Yaa Hoo . I have to agree with usmc 00-08 whole heartedly, The engine number was a strange if not stupid idea for use as a vin#, especially since my second titled truck is waiting for the designated 7.3l powerstroke with 4r70w sitting in my yard. The frame has already been modified and it had a homemade hard top welded to the cab making it a good candidate for modification. The one I'm currently trying to title I intend to keep all original. I currently have some rear fenders, mud flaps and taillights mounted on it to pass inspection till I get the correct bed and other things, but they are all bolted on using existing holes. I drive a truck for a living and the shop has a 57.5' step deck with ramped dovetail. So all I have to do is pay for fuel to get to inspection station. I believe I will bring both trucks so I can get both titles changed to frame number. Between being out of town driving, running a small farm, and trying to spend time with family, it may be months before I can do this, but will let you know the results when I can. Again thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks