• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame Reinforcement on an M998

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm keeping this vehicle and would like to find out your thoughts on the frame reinforcement. (I did a couple of searches and either the reinforcements were down a ways in long threads..)

I've seen the Predator and the "duck" reinforcements.

Today, I heard from someone who says that a SoCal race modifier puts in braces near where the rear suspension drops from the frame. I've also heard that the frame can break around the steering box (two vendors have these, no thanks, for $150, I can make one, take my wife out to dinner and buy a case of beer!)

So, have you reinforced your frame? Where? Have you broken your frame? Where?

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this in the auction site: 2510-01-429-9907 PN 57K0296. Has anyone installed one of these? How hard?

DCIV

Cool thread, too bad that website in the thread is no longer available. Why would a 1 1/4 ton truck need frame reinforcement?

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So there are two different solutions solving different things (I saw the G503 thread late last night, thanks, it _is_ a lot of work.).

The steering plate and this on the right hand side. To me, both are subject to bolt shear strength unless welded. Of course, you also get to deal with shims on the driver's side. No my cup of tea.

I think I'm going to hold tight...

ryanruck

The front frame kits mentioned in the G503 article are on epay for $75.
I've seen those kits and I saw the install writeup on G503 when looking into them but not much on how necessary they are.

You think they're a good addition to a truck that actually gets wheeled off road? Or is it just overkill for an unarmored truck?

I'm like the OP and I'd prefer an ounce of prevention over a pound of cure but, since it's as involved as it is, I'd prefer it to be a back burner thing.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree. Considering I have open projects that will take until I'm about 90, not likely.

Augi

I off-road my truck a lot. The reason for all of the various reinforcement kits developed for these trucks was because of the several tons of armor added. My empty 998 rag top weighs around 7k lbs according to the dump scale. Fully loaded for camping it might be 1k more. The uparmored trucks are pushing 16k and the frame and suspension just wasn't designed for it. They ended up making a lot of Band-Aids.

Upgrade the halfshafts to 10.3k ones, install problem solver ball joints and tie rod ends and call it a day. You'll still be replacing ball joints and tie rod ends every 15 or 20k miles, but it's not that hard to do.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks